Author Topic: Forums Activity!!!  (Read 693 times)

Offline Staff

• Site Management
  • Staff Member
    • http://www.othforums.com
Forums Activity!!!
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
We have kept the website/forums up for quite some time now since the show has gone off the air.  We've noticed that activity on the forums has been pretty slack.

As you may know, we pay monthly and yearly fees to keep the site up.  We would like to know that the money we are putting out is still worth people coming here.

So please, let us know if you think we should keep the forums up.  Give us your honest opinion.

Thank you.

Update: Thanks to the feedback from the members, we have decided that not only are we going to keep the forums running, we are also going to put in the effort to reignite the excitement to visit and post here at the forums.

You have probably already seen a big return from former members, lots of new posts, and major clean ups of spam. We are excited that our new and old members still want this place to stay alive, and as staff, it's our job to spark that interest to keep it moving.

Thank you all for your input.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:30:00 AM by Patrick »

Offline lisanp

Re: Keeping The Forums?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
It seems like the admins are always thinking of shutting down. I wish a decision would be made and just stick with it. I'm not sure how much you spend yearly to keep the forums open, but I think you need to let people know you're here. There is a whole new generation of OTH fans due to Netflix reviving the show and various conventions being held yearly. I think if people knew you were here then maybe the activity level would rise. I love this site, but I'm tired of always seeing posts like this. Put the time and effort into promoting instead of pondering whether to shut down. I hope this helps you make a concrete decision.

Offline Staff

• Site Management
  • Staff Member
    • http://www.othforums.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »
It seems like the admins are always thinking of shutting down. I wish a decision would be made and just stick with it. I'm not sure how much you spend yearly to keep the forums open, but I think you need to let people know you're here. There is a whole new generation of OTH fans due to Netflix reviving the show and various conventions being held yearly. I think if people knew you were here then maybe the activity level would rise. I love this site, but I'm tired of always seeing posts like this. Put the time and effort into promoting instead of pondering whether to shut down. I hope this helps you make a concrete decision.
You raise a very valid point, one that we have not though of. So we will take that into consideration.  Thank you.

Offline cpinchot

• Brucas Forever
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »

Very true. There has been at least a few times the question has been asked and the site did even go down for a while until the conventions started happening. I visit the site somewhat often, but there aren't many new posts so it is a short visit at times and ICA with this statement.

"I'll Miss The Girl Behind The Red Door"   Lucas Scott

Offline DJ

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:24:45 PM »
I try to check in fairly regularly, but it's not very often. I've really enjoyed seeing some familiar people here over the last few months. I've tried to post info on conventions, because I don't live far from Wilmington and I hope having new posts will generate some interest. The thing is, I don't think a lot of the people who used to come here even know the forums are open again. I don't remember how I found out, but it was months after it had been reopened. Is there a way to message everyone who used to be here, to generate some enthusiasm?

And I agree about the new generation discovering the show through Netflix. I bet you could get some new people talking about it, if they knew this was here.

Anyway, I, for one, would love to see them kept open. The fanbase is still very much alive, judging by the people attending conventions.

Offline cpinchot

• Brucas Forever
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:51:35 AM »
I try to check in fairly regularly, but it's not very often. I've really enjoyed seeing some familiar people here over the last few months. I've tried to post info on conventions, because I don't live far from Wilmington and I hope having new posts will generate some interest. The thing is, I don't think a lot of the people who used to come here even know the forums are open again. I don't remember how I found out, but it was months after it had been reopened. Is there a way to message everyone who used to be here, to generate some enthusiasm?

That is a very good point about enthusiasm. If we could message everyone and get some topics/games or something like that going. Especially with the newer viewers like you have mentioned we could get some decent posts/topics going on.

Offline Patrick

• Forums Owner
  • Posting Freak
  • Creator of OTHfans.com
    • OTHfans.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »
We messaged everyone regarding this thread and the poll via e-mail.  That is the only way to "message" everyone, but if their e-mail addresses are not up to date, it doesn't do much good.

With that said... I'm trying to reach out to the ones I know through Facebook... and having them spread the word as well.  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:46:22 PM by Patrick »

Offline Patrick

• Forums Owner
  • Posting Freak
  • Creator of OTHfans.com
    • OTHfans.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »
We are going to take the advice of several posters in this thread.  Instead of spending time deciding if we should close the forums, we are going to spend that time trying to promote the forums.  We are hoping to generate some more traffic and more excitement for the forums!

Thank you for all of your input and we hope to see you posting.

Offline Chris

• Senior VIP. 11 years and counting.
    • The Underlined
Re: Forums Activity!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 03:10:15 PM »
I know this forum is dedicated to OTH, but maybe to generate activity we could bring back the "Other Shows" section and then make subsections for the top 5 most popular other shows. That way people are wanting to come in and post almost nightly on one of those shows.

Maybe we could also do like an OTH Rewind section that is dedicated to re-watching old episodes. Members could vote weekly on what to watch the next week. We could even try to set up a time to "watch live" together and we could live post with each other as we are watching it.

Offline Liz

• Forums Manager
  • Posting 24/7
  • SophiaJamesScott
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »
I love the OTH rewind idea !

ALSO, and more importantly, the "Other Shows" section -- most people, including myself, come here to talk about all shows because we are all such TV aholics. So it makes sense to have a whole section for that.

Offline Patrick

• Forums Owner
  • Posting Freak
  • Creator of OTHfans.com
    • OTHfans.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Chris...

Thank you for your suggestions... the Other Shows section has returned.

Offline Leyton IS True Love

• Posting Freak
  • <3 YOU MOVE ME KURT <3 Kurt & Blaine <3
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »
So I stopped coming in because I had gotten an email saying the forums were being closed down years ago. I was disappointed because I loooove this site. To give you an idea on when I stopped posting it was othforums.Com

But it's back and I'm back and im happy to be able to reconnect with everyone!
I LOVE YOU. Kurt & Blaine <3
(amazing work by Terra dcfreak_2002)

Offline Chris

• Senior VIP. 11 years and counting.
    • The Underlined
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:31 PM »
Chris...

Thank you for your suggestions... the Other Shows section has returned.

I feel so accomplished right now!  ;D

Offline cpinchot

• Brucas Forever
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 07:59:16 AM »
Maybe we could also do like an OTH Rewind section that is dedicated to re-watching old episodes. Members could vote weekly on what to watch the next week. We could even try to set up a time to "watch live" together and we could live post with each other as we are watching it.

I would definitely in for this idea. I know we did this a while back. I believe right when the show ended it was all season 1 and had some amazing posts about facts and info about the episodes. I feel if we brought that back it would be big for people who are already re watching it anyways.

Offline DJ

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
I know this forum is dedicated to OTH, but maybe to generate activity we could bring back the "Other Shows" section and then make subsections for the top 5 most popular other shows. That way people are wanting to come in and post almost nightly on one of those shows.

Did anyone else used to come here during the commercials, to see what others thought about something that just happened? I loved the discussions that followed each episode!