Author Topic: lucas and haley are underrated  (Read 8031 times)

Offline chadbethanyjoyfan

• yes
lucas and haley are underrated
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
lucas and haley are the most underrated main characters of the show. people can't talk about haley without bringing up naley and people can't talk about lucas withhout bringing up brucas\leyton. it like majority of the fans don't care about these two beyond their love life.

Offline Dagmar

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • Art by Brittany
    • Fanfiction.com
Re: lucas and haley are underrated
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »
I honestly don't think that is true. there have been plenty conversations about them alone and their friendship as well . However this show was about their romantic life a lot, so of course people talk about naley, brucas and leyton. those were big parts of the stories

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds"

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
I agree with Dagmar. I think Mark said recently that Haley was one of the most beloved characters and I think that's noticeable. Lucas not so much, but I don't think these two were overshadowed by the relationships they were in. It's just something that comes with the way the show was developed. You can see the same thing happened with Nathan, Peyton and Brooke.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
I think its true for Luke but now Haley. I think Haley is probably one of the most loved characters. Her and her dreams were given major focus very early in a way that many others weren't. I think Lucas is underrated due to the popularity of Brooke and Peyton, I think unless you loved him its easier to just relate to him when to comes to his women. I think he was like Dawson, a bad character to center show around. He was ok and cute but overshadowed by Nathan.

Offline alibi

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
Well, it seems like people either love or hate Lucas, and if they hate him they usually argue that he was a bad boyfriend and friend.
I love him and I know some of the things he did weren't right, but I don't think he can be labeled as a  bad person because he made a few bad choices.
He did many good things, like saving Dan in the finale of the second season, always supporting Nathan and his mother, and the way he always took care of Peyton, even when they weren't dating.
In 243 years, I've loved exactly one person.

Offline Liz

• Forums Manager
  • Posting 24/7
  • SophiaJamesScott
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
I, for one, hate Lucas. Ha. Not the best guy in Tree Hill, but I love LH the most.

Haley it seemed was one of the most central character. Everyone's friend, the person they went to for advice. I think she's the only character that has a separate relationship with each other character.

Offline onehotscott23

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
I don't understand why people hate Lucas.  I know the way he treated Brooke (and Lindsey for that matter)was wrong so I can understand why people say he was a bad boyfriend.  But I don't see how he was a bad friend or a bad guy.  He made a couple mistakes because he couldn't admit or didn't want to admit that he was in love with Peyton.  I am not condoning his behavior at all.  I am just saying if he was the type of person who cheated all the time just because he could and he didn't care if he hurt people, then I would say he was a bad guy, but I'm not seeing it.  I am also curious to know why people think he was a bad friend?       

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
My issue with Luke had nothing to do with Brooke or Peyton. His personality just bugged me. I just didn't really care about him or what  he went through. I think its really more of a Nathan vs Luke thing. To me, Luke was a whiner and a jerk, he went through far less than Nathan but was always made out to be Dan's biggest victim. For me he was just weak and not very interesting, especially when I felt that a Nathan was stronger and overcame so much more. I've always felt the brooders on this show were uninteresting.

Nothing bothers me more than someone sitting around feeling sorry for themselves and both he and Peyton were famous for that. They made themselves out to be Martyrs and in a group characters who all at one time suffered the same if not more, it was just not fun to watch.

In Luke's case I think the bigger issue is that a lot of his so called fans are really more fans of Brooke or Peyton and therefore their opinions of him are skewed towards how they perceive her treatment of their fave girl. For me, I never cared about Lucas on his own, as a part of Laley or LP. He was ok with Brooke but even still it was never about him  for me.

Offline Liz

• Forums Manager
  • Posting 24/7
  • SophiaJamesScott
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you're saying ^^

His broodiness was annoying and always getting involved in everyone's business like he was superior or something. Just always rubbed me the wrong way. Not to mention how dumb he was with who ever he was dating at the time. Just couldn't stick with one girl.

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
I never liked or hated Lucas. I always thought he was a tool whenever it came to his love life, but other than that I had no issues with him. He was just there and I never cared much for his character, no matter what happened to him. He was just blah.

Though what annoyed me most about him was how he couldn't make up his own mind. Even before he calls Peyton in 6x01, the guy imagines how his life would be like if he chose Brooke and Lindsey. It's just annoying.

Offline alibi

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
I don't understand why people hate Lucas.  I know the way he treated Brooke (and Lindsey for that matter)was wrong so I can understand why people say he was a bad boyfriend.  But I don't see how he was a bad friend or a bad guy.  He made a couple mistakes because he couldn't admit or didn't want to admit that he was in love with Peyton.  I am not condoning his behavior at all.  I am just saying if he was the type of person who cheated all the time just because he could and he didn't care if he hurt people, then I would say he was a bad guy, but I'm not seeing it.  I am also curious to know why people think he was a bad friend?       

Well, I've read somewhere that people fault him for not being a good friend to Mouth or Jimmy. He definitely wasn't a very good friend to Jimmy, and it always bothered me how he left him hanging, but Mouth was so whiney and annoying, so I can't blame Lucas for not hanging out with him all the time.
In 243 years, I've loved exactly one person.

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
I don't think the whole Lucas/Mouth/Jimmy is that simple. I do think all of them were at fault. Maybe Lucas and Mouth distanced themselves from Jimmy once they got to hang out with the more popular crowd and they're at fault for that, but as Lucas said in 3x15 (I guess), Jimmy didn't call them or tried to reach them either.

Offline Northlights

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
My issue with Luke had nothing to do with Brooke or Peyton. His personality just bugged me. I just didn't really care about him or what  he went through. I think its really more of a Nathan vs Luke thing. To me, Luke was a whiner and a jerk, he went through far less than Nathan but was always made out to be Dan's biggest victim. For me he was just weak and not very interesting, especially when I felt that a Nathan was stronger and overcame so much more. I've always felt the brooders on this show were uninteresting.

I don't agree with this. Lucas had it worse during high school years. Brutally hazed when he joined the basketball team, had to give up on his dream due to his heart condition, lost the man who was practically a father to him... When Nathan had to give up basketball he became a drunk and his whole life fell apart. When Haley left him he almost killed himself. Lucas handled hardships a lot better than Nathan in my opinion.

Nothing bothers me more than someone sitting around feeling sorry for themselves and both he and Peyton were famous for that. They made themselves out to be Martyrs and in a group characters who all at one time suffered the same if not more, it was just not fun to watch.

Like drinking a beer in class or drunk driving? ;D

In Luke's case I think the bigger issue is that a lot of his so called fans are really more fans of Brooke or Peyton and therefore their opinions of him are skewed towards how they perceive her treatment of their fave girl.

Completely agree with this. Especially BL-ers considering LP-ers had the satisfaction of their couple being endgame.

I never exactly understood why a lot of people disliked Lucas. His character was somewhat destroyed for me from season 4 onwards (and not just his) but in the first 3 seasons he was likable. It's just that it seems he is never free of his mistakes and has to suffer the consequences of those mistakes for a long time. No matter how much he tried to fix it. It wasn't like that for some of the other characters.

Brooke never let go of season 1 cheating and was always holding it over Lucas' head. Nathan held some stupid grudge against Lucas over the fact that Lucas went to see Haley in New York for most of season 3. I never understood why. Haley was his best friend for most of his life, long before she even met Nathan. Peyton was mad at him for sleeping with Nikki after she broke their little fling off and calls him on being a bad friend in season 2 even though she never reached to him for help or anything.

On the other hand Brooke lied to him about being pregnant and that is never mentioned again. Nobody even knew she sunk so low in an attempt to get even for cheating and never apologized to Lucas for that. She stole the test, got Haley fired, and for that she was instantly forgiven. Treats Lucas like crap for no reason in the start of season 4 and he doesn't hold it against her. Sleeps with Chris Keller and is forgiven in the matter of days.

Nathan treated Lucas horribly in the beginning of the series, humiliated him, kidnapped him, made fun of his mother etc, cheated on Peyton in the very first episode, gets involved in gambling that almost kills his wife and unborn child and is forgiven in a day. Once he decided to change his ways nobody brings up his past mistakes anymore. Like it never happened. He never suffered the consequences of his actions like Lucas did.

Peyton's drug habit is never revisited after she quit, but at least she had to earn forgiveness for her mistake from season 1. Same goes for Haley when she went on tour.

Not to mention Rachel. Everything she did on the show was bad and irredeemable as far as I am concerned. She tried to screw Brooke with Lucas and her cheering squad, tried to seduce Nathan and destroy his marriage, released the time capsule that resulted in two deaths. Oh, and almost killed Cooper and Nathan after the wedding which she almost ruined in her drunken stupor at the reception. And for some reason some people still liked her. She didn't even feel remorse for most of it. Now, if Lucas did any of these things I can already see the torches and pitchforks.

As for being a good friend, Lucas definitely was. He gave Nathan his job when he needed money in season 2, took care of him after the car crash, shaved points for him, offered to take the blame for point shaving scandal so he could go to Duke... He called Jake back for Peyton, helped her deal with Ellie, saved her from PD raping her...or worse... He arranged for Brooke to stay in Tree Hill in season 2 and gave her his room, supported her when she run for school council president... I don't see Lucas being a bad friend to anyone.

Most of this refers to HS years, I'm having trouble taking seriously later seasons...and that includes season 4, that's when everything went wrong IMO.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
I am not saying he was a bad person. I just found him to be whiny. I don't consider Nathan whiny. He's had moments of being a punk but I don't see him as whiner.

Also I don't think its fair to compare the loss of basketball. Did Luke love the game? Yes, but never with the same intensity and need as Nathan. Lucas' first love was literature. It was just as important to him, if not more, than basketball. Because it was not his true dream (we never heard of him talking dreams past high school with Bball), it was not as much of a loss for him as it was for Nathan. I am not downgrading the loss he felt but it really just wasn't the same for him. Nathan, OTOH, was on the cusp of  getting his life-long dream and lost it. Luke was not in the same space when it came to basketball. Losing basketball caused Nathan to have an identity crisis and fall into a depression. It made him question himself not only as a man but as husband and father. Was it the best response? No but at the same time, I honestly think he was clinically depressed and just not strong enough to handle such a loss. Was that ok? Hell no. I'm so TeamHaley when it came to all she put up with from him after that. I just don't think him being depressed over that loss given the circumstances of his trauma makes him weak or whiny.

I don't agree that Luke went through more. While I agree, he did go through alot. I don't think it compares to the years of emotional abuse for Dan and neglect from Deb. Luke always had a great support system and was ok, other than his occasional need to brood and whine. I don't mean to diminish the death of Keith, I just wasn't referring to that when I made the comments that I did.

Offline Northlights

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
I only saw Lucas as a whiner in the first season. Complaining about Nathan in the beginning, and trying to justify his mistakes instead of owning up to it. Later on he didn't even open up to anybody with most of his problems, let alone whine about them.

Considering what he went through to get the chance to play basketball I wouldn't say Luke's love of basketball was any less than Nathan's. Yes, Lucas loved to read books, but only in season 4 did we actually see him writing. His dream to become a writer first appeared after he had to give up basketball. At least that's when the viewers first saw that he was writing. I always thought of it as something the writers added to Lucas' character later on. In the beginning the show was about two brothers and how their lives collided because to both of them basketball was more than just a game. For me, it wouldn't have been as strong a struggle on Lucas' part when he joined the team if basketball was only his second dream. But maybe that's just me because I started watching the show because of the game.

Also, Luke lost a lot in a short period of time. Right after Keith's death he revealed to everyone that he had a heart condition and had to give up playing basketball, and not long after that got dumped by his girlfriend. I think he handled it way better than most 17/18 year old's would.