Author Topic: Quinn?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline alibi

Quinn?
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:09:09 PM »
I didn't continue watching OTH past the sixth seaso, because the fifth and sixth were already boring me and didn't reach the greatness of the first four seasons, and because I ship Leyton and couldn't bear to watch without them. (And I hate Jamie.)
But recently, I've picked up on the vibe that Quinn gets a lot of hate in the fandom (basing this observation on IMDB threads). Why is that? Anyone care to elaborate? :cool:
In 243 years, I've loved exactly one person.

Offline chadbethanyjoyfan

• yes
Re: Quinn?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
l love quinn finally we see haley sisters, i love the scott family but they got really boring to me. back to quinn she funny,nice, and kind. also love the relationship between quinn and haley

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »
Quinn got plenty of hate in season 7 (her first season) but I think that toned down in season 8 and season 9. I'm sure all the hatred she got was because Shantel wasn't the strongest actress (especially in S7, imo) and because her character was frequently in her underwear or in a bikini in scenes that weren't really necessary. And I remember some fans also hated how she dumped her husband and then started dating Clay. That might have something to do with it as well.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
I can't stand Quinn. Other than her looks, she brings nothing to the table. She has no personality, purpose and the actress that portrays her is weak. All of this is highlighted when she shares scenes with my personal Fave Haley. After watching Haley sparkle in scenes from everyone from Dan to Whitey, it was hard to get into Quinn and her lack of personality and chemistry with everyone.

Mark also knew this which is why  when giving her legit story and chance to show any talent she had failed, he put her on half naked every episode. She was weak and even the show creators lack of faith in her showed.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:55:25 PM »
I always liked her character. She didn't reach the level of character that the core 5 reached ( although I liked her more than Nathan but that's personal ), but I didn't understand all the criticism. None of the actors on OTH ( minus maybe Joy, Sophia, Moira, Barry ) were really high notch actors if you ask me. But they were perfect for their roles. And the same went for Shantel. Plus her romance with Clay was quite nice, especially in S9.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
I didn't think she was perfect for the role unless the role was to supposed to be the boring sister of Haley's who served no purpose other than getting with Clay. To me the biggest sign of her failure was Sarah, they should have just brought the character of Sarah to the show to be the Clay. The Sarah actress was better and the character was more interesting.

And I personally think she was the weakest actor/actress on the show. And while Joy was great from the beginning, she and Sophia both got better/stronger each year. Their strength at the end of series only highlight how weak Shantel was imo. And honestly, I think Shantel was worse than James was S1. And while I adore James in the role and think he grew over time, I can admit he was one of the weaker actors. But even on his worst day, he was stronger actor because he actually had screen presence. He was more than a pretty face.  And even though he wasn't the strongest, he was able to hold his own with two the strongest actors on the show  (Paul and Joy) from Day 1. The fact that Shantel could not do the same with Joy was my issue. 

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
I didn't think she was perfect for the role unless the role was to supposed to be the boring sister of Haley's who served no purpose other than getting with Clay. To me the biggest sign of her failure was Sarah, they should have just brought the character of Sarah to the show to be the Clay. The Sarah actress was better and the character was more interesting.

That would've been amazing. Clay and Sarah were great. I managed to like Sarah better than Quinn and only saw her in 1 episode.

With that being said, I think that people who don't like Quinn (myself included) are a little more harsh towards her character, because she was introduced to us when OTH was already winding down. I think she wouldn't be so criticised if she had first appeared on the HS years. Not only because the writing was better back then, but also because there was more character development and that's something I think Quinn never really had. The girl we met in 7x01 was the same girl we said goodbye to in 9x13. And in those 3 years we saw her she never did anything useful. She was just Haley's sister and Clay's girlfriend.

Offline Sara

• dodger716
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
Yeah, I agree that she wasn't developed properly.  It was a lot to throw two new main characters in our face in season 7.  Her whole thing coming back was her divorce from David, which I don't think many people understood or thought she handled well.  Other than that we knew she was a photographer.  But after her and Clay got together, that pretty much defined both those characters.  Which is sad, because then we didn't really get the chance to love them as characters or real assets to the show.  Each had a few legit storylines in season 7 (Clay/Sara, Lydia dying), but after that Quinn was pretty pointless outside of being with Clay.  She provided comedy, babysitting, and a half naked girl for the show.

Given it was an uphill battle at the time she joined the show, but they could've done more to develop her character.  A lot of people appreciated her character the most come season 9, when Shantel's acting had improved a lot and Quinn was playing the selfless, supporting role.