Author Topic: Keith vs. Andy  (Read 2764 times)

Offline alibi

Keith vs. Andy
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
I never could bring myself to like Keith, I don't know why. He always came across as somewhat pathetic and needy to me and imo, he didn't deserve Karen one bit. Basically, all he did was whining and following Karen around like a little puppy. Their relationship was always more than awkward. The way he acted in season 1, especially around Lucas, rubbed me the wrong way.
But then Andy showed up and he was so gentle and sweet and helped Lucas going against Dan, and I immediately shipped him with Karen.
Keith was okay in the third season, but he has nothing on Andy. Andy FTW!
Anyone agree? Disagree? What do you think?
In 243 years, I've loved exactly one person.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
Re: Keith vs. Andy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
I loved Keith's devotion to Lucas, but other than that,  I wasn't a huge fan. He was ok and I enjoyed him trying to be a good brother to Dan. I didn't really care for him and Karen either.  They were just blah together.

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
I loved Keith's devotion to Lucas, but other than that,  I wasn't a huge fan.

This. I felt the same way. That's why I was never really sad when Dan killed him. LOL.

Andy/Karen were a lot more interesting than Keith/Karen, imo. And I liked Andy a lot more even if he was on my screen half the time Keith was.

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
They both annoyed me for completely different reasons.

It's funny though. You would think killing off a main character would affect most OTH fans. But I didn't feel a thing for Keith when he died. I mean, I was touched/shocked by 3x16 because of how powerful it was in general, but I never felt sad that Keith died. I simply didn't care.

Offline princesssoccer90

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • Lathan Award 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
I liked Keith and liked him with Karen!!!  I did like Andy and all, but I was rooting for Keith!!!

Naley and Leyton-OTH December MOM 2012

Offline onlyoth23

• Believing you'll do well is half the battle...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
Omg i agree with this thread. i hated keith! he was sooo whiny and boring! and i thought it was so screwed up for him to sleep with his brothers wife! i mean come on! dan didnt deserve that in season 1. i was totally rooting for dan when he paid jules/emily to be with keith. i probably would have done the same thing if my brother ever dared to sleep with my wife. i was soo relieved when they killed keith off in season 3. hes useless
onlyoth<3

Offline onehotscott23

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »
It's interesting to me how people see the character's differently.  I didn't think of Keith as pathetic at all.  I saw him as a very selfless person who owned his own business and helped raise a child that wasn't even his.  Although I did prefer Keith/Lucas interaction more than Keith/Karen interaction in season 1, I admired Keith for being there for both Karen and Lucas.   

I actually liked Andy and Karen as a couple in season 2 but when Keith came back in season 3, I was rooting for Karen and Keith.  I was both sad and shocked when Keith died.  The sad part was that Karen lost someone who she knew she could always depend on and Lucas lost someone who was like a father to him.  The shocking part was Dan killing his own brother.     

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
I'm one of these persons that liked them both. Keith helped raise Lucas while noone else offered Karen a helping hand. He was always there for Lucas when he needed him, and he was always there for Karen. Some may say he was following her around being all pathetic, but I just saw it as him being in love with Karen, and wanting to help them out. He was really important to them - and at multiple occasions he gave up his own life because he wanted to help Lucas / Karen, or even some of Lucas' friends. And I was kind of glad when Karen started to see him as more of a friend aswell. I truly believe they belonged together.

That said, I wasn't that sad when he died. Sure, it was a shock, but I felt the worst for Karen who lost Keith. I think I really liked them as a couple, but Keith as an individual character was not one my favorites.

I liked Andy, and I like that he ended up with Karen, but I always thought she kind of ''settled'' with him since the love of her life was no longer around. She loved Andy, but I don't think she could ever feel the same for him as she felt for Keith. And I guess Andy knew that. Plus he was good towards Lucas.

Offline HaleyFan88

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
I definitely liked Andy a lot more.  While I didn't hate Keith, I found him rather whiny and annoying.  His character was boring and had no depth, IMO.  I don't care that Keith and Karen got together but I didn't think they were "meant to be" by any means.  I mean, it took them more than seventeen years to finally be together.  And I also felt their relationship was pretty rushed - not on Keith's part but on Karen's.  She rejects him in season one, starts a relationship with Andy (a serious relationship) in season two, and then Keith returns in season three and she's suddenly in love with Keith.  It was way too contrived for me.

Andy - gosh, I think I fell in love with him during that very first scene of his.  I instantly felt his chemistry with Karen and wanted to see more.  Episode by episode, I continued loving them. Unlike Keith, he didn't skulk around and just wait for something to happen with Karen.  He acted and he didn't mope over her insecurities.  He brought them up, telling her to have more confidence in herself and in him.  Their relationship felt realistic and I never got that "rebound" feeling with Karen concerning Keith.

So, for me - definitely Andy.  I was ecstatic to see him (with Karen) in season 5.

Offline onlyoth23

• Believing you'll do well is half the battle...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »
In reply to onehotscott23. I totally understand your opinion and respect it but i have to disagree with keith being selfless. A selfless person does not sleep with his brothers wife and then run away to charleston like a pansy.
onlyoth<3

Offline Jerret

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • meow
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:37 AM »
Keith was a part of the heart of OTH and his/Karen's story was one of the focal points so I gotta go with Keith. However, considering what happened I'm glad we saw that Karen ended up with Andy b/c I did like their story a lot too in S2.

Offline onehotscott23

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 12:04:16 AM »
In reply to onehotscott23. I totally understand your opinion and respect it but i have to disagree with keith being selfless. A selfless person does not sleep with his brothers wife and then run away to charleston like a pansy.
Thank you and I respect your opinion as well.  When I said Keith was selfless, I was referring to how Keith was there for Karen and Lucas while Lucas was growing up.  Keith even saved a college fund for Lucas.  That's pretty selfless in my opinion.  Peyton even said in season 5 how Keith put aside his own  feelings for Karen so he could be a good friend to Karen.  However, I totally agree with you that sleeping with Deb was completely wrong.   

Offline Chris

• Senior VIP. 11 years and counting.
    • The Underlined
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »
It's funny though. You would think killing off a main character would affect most OTH fans. But I didn't feel a thing for Keith when he died. I mean, I was touched/shocked by 3x16 because of how powerful it was in general, but I never felt sad that Keith died. I simply didn't care.

I think you bring up a good point about Keith's death. I think it would have been more effective had he not been absent for almost a year before the episode in which he died. I think it would have been more tragic if it had been someone who was more present who died. I get the Dan killing his brother arc paralleling the Cain and Abel story but I think that would have been more effective had Keith not disappeared for (what seemed to the audience) a year.

Though I am curious how new people who watch the show via Netflix for the first time feel about Keith's death. For us who watched it happen in 2006, we felt Keith's absence for a year already so it wasn't as effective. For bingers on Netflix, maybe they feel differently?

Offline NiceLegsNiceHands

• If love is an ocean, we're all sinking...
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 12:13:17 AM »
I listen to the Tree Hill Talk podcast and they were super upset about Keith dying, but then they are watching 2 episodes per podcast and watch the first three seasons in a few months.

I didn't watch OTH live until season 5 and bought seasons 1-4 on DVD and binged them that way, so it was a shock and very upsetting to me when it happened.

I liked Andy a lot and I'm glad Karen got to be with him, but Karen and Keith were one of those relationships that needed closure and I'm so glad they got a little bit of happiness before Keith died, because otherwise I would probably like Andy less than I do now.
"We're circling each other like Venezuelan flamingoes engaged in a complex mating dance."
-Ed and Carol, destine to be together.

Offline DJ

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
Same here. I didn't watch live until Season 5, but saw Season3 1-4 on Soapnet, 2 episodes a day, so it went pretty quickly. It didn't seem like Keith was gone that long and his death was a huge shock.

I too liked Andy but was glad Karen and Keith had some time together as a couple before Keith died.