Author Topic: Lucas' Book Dedication  (Read 2036 times)

Offline NiceLegsNiceHands

• If love is an ocean, we're all sinking...
Lucas' Book Dedication
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
So, I noticed something tonight while rewatching 5x18.

Haley told Lucas to quit running away from his heart and to just face it, then Lindsey gets his message, "To all those lost souls who have forgotten to believe in the immensity of love."

I think that message wasn't for Lindsey at all, but for Lucas himself, because had been running from his love for Peyton and his true feelings for so long, and he had given up on his belief that what he had with Peyton was true love and was strong enough to survive a long distance relationship.

The main reason I say this, is because the conversation Haley and Lucas have while sitting on the rivercourt, and secondly, when Lindsey calls him, he listens to the voice mail, but ultimately looks down and sees Peyton's name with the lyrics to Love Song by The Cure written.

I think that was when he had decided to quit running from his feelings for Peyton and why she was the last person he went to see before he went to the airport. I also think this is why he didn't call Lindsey back and why he made it a point of telling Brooke in the finale how he was her friend.

I just thought it was pretty blatant foreshadowing of Peyton being the person he called in the S6 premiere. (Also I think Mark set it up so that the last conversation Leyton had before the airport proposal scene was Peyton telling Lucas her dream was saying yes to him and then Lucas calling and proposing.)

I've noticed other fans think the book dedication was for Lindsey, but I feel pretty strongly after re-watching the finale that it was for himself and his situation with Peyton and had nothing to do with Lindsey.

"We're circling each other like Venezuelan flamingoes engaged in a complex mating dance."
-Ed and Carol, destine to be together.

Offline hilarie.love

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
Re: Lucas' Book Dedication
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46:51 AM »
Omg yes definitely. I agree with everything you've said. I've always thought the book dedication was so beautiful. I wish we got more insight to Luke's feelings in S5, but that dedication put a lot of what was going on in words. It's very tragic and dark, but turned out so beautiful.
"Somebody told me that this is the place where everything's better and everything's safe."

Offline Destined4Greatness

• All you need is one.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:06:48 AM »
I never knew people thought the dedication was for Lindsey. I know she thought it was for her but LOL she tried it with that message she left him.

Offline NiceLegsNiceHands

• If love is an ocean, we're all sinking...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »
Yeah I used to post over on the official cw forums and a LOT of people were convinced it was for Lindsey, even after Season 6 premiered, and while I sort of think it was for everyone, including Lindsey, he didn't write it with her specifically in mind, if that makes sense. He wrote it for him as a tribute to Peyton.
"We're circling each other like Venezuelan flamingoes engaged in a complex mating dance."
-Ed and Carol, destine to be together.

Offline tututu

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
To me, it was pretty clear that Lucas would've never called Lindsey. It couldn't have been Brooke because the writers wouldn't have done that : her BFF was in love with Lucas. Anyway, even if I'm a BIG BIG Brucas fan, I always knew LP would be endgame
'' Like sucks. Then it gets better. Then it sucks again. Then it gets better again. ''

Offline overcode

• L♥P; M♥D
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:38:55 PM »
I agree that the dedications was inspired by Peyton, but I think he was speaking about himself in that sentence. Because he was the lost soul who forgot to believe in the immensity of love. I believe that in S5 Lucas was lost (the words he spoke to Brooke in 505 'I'm lost. I don't know what to do without her' applied to him through all s5) and truly believed that Peyton didn't love him as much as he loved her (she said no, didn't she?). But when he saw the drawing she made @RC he finally realized and allowed himself to remember the immensity of Peyton's love.
In the book the boy saw a comet that went away but he knew that someday it will returned to him and his believe in Love and God and Art would be reawaken in his heart.  Lucas stopped believing in love the moment Peyton didn't say yes.   

"But to see HER was to love HER, love but HER, and love HER forever"

Offline princesssoccer90

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • Lathan Award 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
I always thought it was Lucas who stopped believing in love and it was for him especially because he was so Lost!!!  It was inspired by his love for Peyton, but it was about himself I think the most!!!

To me it didn't really have anything to do with Lindsey at all

It was mostly about Lucas!!!

Naley and Leyton-OTH December MOM 2012