Author Topic: Dead Mom and Haley  (Read 2577 times)

Offline NiceLegsNiceHands

• If love is an ocean, we're all sinking...
Dead Mom and Haley
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
Did anyone else notice how strange it was that Haley didn't write a letter or at least have a fake pretend phone call to Peyton when she was dealing with losing her mom?
I found that really lame of the writers, because hello, you killed off two of Peyton's mom, Mark. Seriously? You have Haley act as if she knows no one in her life that has ever lost a mom?
Brooke's was basically non existent her entire life, Peyton had TWO mom's that died, and even Nathan's mom was a alcoholic drug addict...

I don't know, I just felt Haley was pretty irrational this season, even with having her mom die. She could've at least leaned on Quinn and Taylor, seeing as it was also their mother.

Haley really pissed me off this season and rubbed me the wrong way with how she reacted to her mother's death.

Yeah, death sucks and can and does lead to depression, but she was like histrionic and narcissistic about it.
"We're circling each other like Venezuelan flamingoes engaged in a complex mating dance."
-Ed and Carol, destine to be together.

Offline Liz

• Forums Manager
  • Posting 24/7
  • SophiaJamesScott
Re: Dead Mom and Haley
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »
It was definitely, un-Haley-like reaction to the death, but I have never lost a mom so I don't know I would react.

The only thing that really bothered me was how she acted with Nathan & Jamie. Haley really wouldn't have been mean to them or snap as much as she did, but it was fun to see her like this. I just felt that it wasn't normal.

It would have been nice, while she was in her deep depression to see her call an old friend (Peyton). Since she wasn't talking to anyone else. A little way to show that their friendship was imporant.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
Clearly there is a difference between grief and depression. To me, I compare it to Peyton running redlights in S1. Peyton wanted to hurt someone else. She was too caught up in her own pain to realize that if someone actually did hit her, she could kill them. At least Haley was only bringing physical harm to herself. When people are depressed, its more than just feeling sad. Its tremendous emotional stress that tends to cause physiological and psychological repercussions.

Depressed people do not know how to productively make themselves better. Many of them have to rely on medications. Others do not recognize that there is something truly wrong and therefor don't know how to get help. Its like asking someone to treat a cold/flu and they don't know/believe they are sick.

As for calling Peyton, I don't see how that would have helped. With me personally, knowing someone else experience a similar loss doesn't make me feel better. I don't see how calling Peyton would have instantly made her not depressed.

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
I agree with swindellbc. Haley was depressed, of course she wasn't herself. That's what being depressed does to you. Although I didn't like what she was doing (ignoring everybody and giving the cold shoulder to Jamie and Nathan), I'm not going to blame her because she wasn't herself. She was sick.

Calling Peyton would've been a nice way to show they're all still very close with LP out of town, but even if the writers were willing to do that, I'm not sure if that would've helped Haley, because she didn't even realize she wasn't okay. She pretty much isolated herself from everybody else so I doubt calling Peyton would be on her to-do list at the time.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:00:43 AM »
Clearly there is a difference between grief and depression. To me, I compare it to Peyton running redlights in S1. Peyton wanted to hurt someone else. She was too caught up in her own pain to realize that if someone actually did hit her, she could kill them. At least Haley was only bringing physical harm to herself. When people are depressed, its more than just feeling sad. Its tremendous emotional stress that tends to cause physiological and psychological repercussions.

Depressed people do not know how to productively make themselves better. Many of them have to rely on medications. Others do not recognize that there is something truly wrong and therefor don't know how to get help. Its like asking someone to treat a cold/flu and they don't know/believe they are sick.

As for calling Peyton, I don't see how that would have helped. With me personally, knowing someone else experience a similar loss doesn't make me feel better. I don't see how calling Peyton would have instantly made her not depressed.
I think you just proved my point about Peyton being depressed. She was depressed in season 1 with the stoplight thing. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, but her grief over her mother is not any less or worth less than Haley's grief.

And I never said that calling Peyton would instantly fix Haley's grief. I only said that it could help, considering Peyton also dealt with depression when her mother died and she also lost two mothers. Once again, you are not Peyton or Haley and just because it wouldn't work for you, doesn't mean it couldn't for them.
"We're circling each other like Venezuelan flamingoes engaged in a complex mating dance."

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I think you just proved my point about Peyton being depressed. She was depressed in season 1 with the stoplight thing. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, but her grief over her mother is not any less or worth less than Haley's grief.

And I never said that calling Peyton would instantly fix Haley's grief. I only said that it could help, considering Peyton also dealt with depression when her mother died and she also lost two mothers. Once again, you are not Peyton or Haley and just because it wouldn't work for you, doesn't mean it couldn't for them.

Ok well neither are you. Just because you are obsessed with Peyton and wanted to make Haley's depression about Peyton does not mean that it should have happened. I personally never saw Haley as that close to Peyton that she would feel the need to confide something so personal to her.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
Ok well neither are you. Just because you are obsessed with Peyton and wanted to make Haley's depression about Peyton does not mean that it should have happened. I personally never saw Haley as that close to Peyton that she would feel the need to confide something so personal to her.
Asking why Mark couldn't show Peyton and Haley's friendship is not about making it all about Peyton. Not even close to the same thing. Maybe actually try reading what someone's post before refuting it with crap. Also, again with the "personally" crap. Great for you, but Haley was actually close to Peyton and considers her a good friend. I even like Haley, but it's narrowminded views like yours that make me start to hate her and pick apart her flaws. None of the characters are perfect, but Peyton is not Satan incarnate and your bizarre hate vendetta against her is now getting hilarious in it's delusion.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
Asking why Mark couldn't show Peyton and Haley's friendship is not about making it all about Peyton. Not even close to the same thing. Maybe actually try reading what someone's post before refuting it with crap. Also, again with the "personally" crap. Great for you, but Haley was actually close to Peyton and considers her a good friend. I even like Haley, but it's narrowminded views like yours that make me start to hate her and pick apart her flaws. None of the characters are perfect, but Peyton is not Satan incarnate and your bizarre hate vendetta against her is now getting hilarious in it's delusion.

Haley never confided deep personal feeling to Peyton onscreen, despite them being good friends. That is what I meant. I wasn't giving my personal opinion on their friendship. Only pointing out that Haley was never close enough to Peyton, to share her deep secrets and feelings. She never shared with her like she did Lucas(early seasons), Brooke and Nathan. Sorry you are unable to do so. Also to make it clear. I did not MAKE you do anything. YOU CHOSE to bash Haley because you want to. I don't think Peyton is satan and there is nothing bizarre about disliking a character. there is no vendetta, only my opinion. If you notice, I don't go into every Peyton thread bashing her. I only give my opinion when it relates to my favorite characters. You, on the other hand, acting like the Peyton police and bashing real people for disliking her is odd. The only thing both hilarious and bizarre is how attached you seem to be towards the character and your inability to see her as a fictional person or the fact that I am not bashing a real person. Your sensitivity to dislike of this fictional  character is straight up disturbing. You might consider seeking help or taking a break from the board if you can't handle Peyton dislike.

Offline laffertyjoy

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
when you have depression you don't control your emotions. you can't be rational. you only care about your pain, you can only think of yourself! depression is being selfish. each person faces death in a way, if Quinn and Taylor were okay with that, fine, but Haley suffered more, not just because they lost the same person means they would react the same way!

I'm a Peyton's fan but I don't agree with the call. I would love a call between them but not this in this situation. when you're depressed you don't want to talk to anyone because you don't think it should help! would be strange if they shows a call between them because those who have depression hardly talk about it.

and I think that depression passed really fast, but I also understand that it's a tv  show and they have to move on.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
when you have depression you don't control your emotions. you can't be rational. you only care about your pain, you can only think of yourself! depression is being selfish. each person faces death in a way, if Quinn and Taylor were okay with that, fine, but Haley suffered more, not just because they lost the same person means they would react the same way!

I'm a Peyton's fan but I don't agree with the call. I would love a call between them but not this in this situation. when you're depressed you don't want to talk to anyone because you don't think it should help! would be strange if they shows a call between them because those who have depression hardly talk about it.

and I think that depression passed really fast, but I also understand that it's a tv  show and they have to move on.

This. It's not about disliking Peyton. This story was about Haley. It just had nothing to do with her. The one person Haley could always turn to was Nathan. And even during that time, she didn't feel comfortable talking to him. Even when he tried, she resisted and it was like pulling teeth. So given the story, to me, it would make no sense at all for her to call Peyton(someone she was not nearly as close too) when she couldn't even confide in the people she closest to, especially considering she didn't even believe that she was sick in the first place.

Offline bethy10

• Posting Freak
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
Haley never confided deep personal feeling to Peyton onscreen, despite them being good friends. That is what I meant. I wasn't giving my personal opinion on their friendship. Only pointing out that Haley was never close enough to Peyton, to share her deep secrets and feelings. She never shared with her like she did Lucas(early seasons), Brooke and Nathan. Sorry you are unable to do so. Also to make it clear. I did not MAKE you do anything. YOU CHOSE to bash Haley because you want to. I don't think Peyton is satan and there is nothing bizarre about disliking a character. there is no vendetta, only my opinion. If you notice, I don't go into every Peyton thread bashing her. I only give my opinion when it relates to my favorite characters. You, on the other hand, acting like the Peyton police and bashing real people for disliking her is odd. The only thing both hilarious and bizarre is how attached you seem to be towards the character and your inability to see her as a fictional person or the fact that I am not bashing a real person. Your sensitivity to dislike of this fictional  character is straight up disturbing. You might consider seeking help or taking a break from the board if you can't handle Peyton dislike.

Pretty sure Haley has, multiple times, confided deep personal feelings to Peyton. See seasons 1 and 2. It was PEYTON that Haley went to when she had deep personal feelings she couldn't talk to Nathan or Lucas about. Haley and Peyton's friendship changed after Haley went on tour and she clearly became closer with Brooke. But let's not act like Haley has never confided in Peyton.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Pretty sure Haley has, multiple times, confided deep personal feelings to Peyton. See seasons 1 and 2. It was PEYTON that Haley went to when she had deep personal feelings she couldn't talk to Nathan or Lucas about. Haley and Peyton's friendship changed after Haley went on tour and she clearly became closer with Brooke. But let's not act like Haley has never confided in Peyton.
This is true. I admit that I was wrong about that. But post S2 Haley, was not close enough to Peyton to do so. S7 is definitely post S2 so it is true to say that at that point in time, based on their relationship, it would  not make sense for Haley to confide deep feelings to Peyton after the age of 17.

Offline HaleyFan88

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
As much as I loved Peyton and the Paley friendship, a phone call from her had no relevance to this storyline of Haley's. Even with Peyton's personal experiences, it was unnecessary, IMO.  I cared more about the storyline involved Naley and Jamie.  A Peyton mention would have just been wasted screentime, IMO.  If there was going to be any kind of friendship moment, I would have preferred a Lucas and Haley one.  That would have made much more sense to me.  It's cool if someone wanted this to happen but Peyton had absolutely nothing to do with this storyline, or even the show at that point, so I was completely okay with how it did go. Besides, with the way the writers imply things to happen offscreen, maybe that's exactly how it happened - we just didn't see/hear it which is okay considering this storyline was about Haley (and her family) and not Peyton or Lucas who weren't even on the show anymore.

And I never saw it as Haley acting like she doesn't know anyone who's ever lost a parent.  That doesn't even make sense to me; it's not like she used a line like that against anyone or in general so...yeah, I don't get how it could come across that way.  For me, her behavior was irrational because she was suffering through depression.  Most people who suffer with that disease isn't exactly rational.