Author Topic: The perfect final season  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Jerret

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • meow
The perfect final season
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
So I just finished rewatching season 9 the other day and I came to find it really is one of my favorite seasons of the show. I think they did a good job of going out with a bang and the way the season flowed and was built up was perfect. I really liked that they did the whole cafe thing with Brooke and Haley. It brought back a lot of that old nostalgia from past seasons and mirrored the Deb and Karen friendship a lot. Brooke's dad coming in and Brooke finally having the relationship she always wanted with BOTH her parents by the end of 9x12 was awesome...the scene at the end of that episode where she's sitting in between them is one of my favorite Brooke scenes. The thing with Julian leaving Davis in the car was good, it was organic drama for a change, not a stupid 3rd party or something. The whole Clay having a son thing defiantly was far fetched, but it was still brilliant imo. Quinn really stepped up this season with all the Clay stuff, but mostly with being their full force for Haley with the Nate missing storyline which was also a great story to tell. Then of course there was all the Dan stuff and his death episode. The series finale was also perfection. Over all I was just really impressed with the way they decided to go out with the show.

Out of scale of 1-5 what would you rate it and why?

I'd for sure go with a 5.

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
Re: The perfect final season
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:26 PM »
3-ish.

I loved all of the Scott stuff (NH/Keith and Deb returning/Dan's death), but that's about it personally.

Other than 9x11, and certain parts of 9x08, 9x10 and 9x13, the season was pretty forgettable in my eyes.

Too much stupidity: Brooke's Xavier crap, the Cheller "bromance", Clay's absolute wtf of a storyline (though it gave CQ Logan and made them somewhat bearable so it wasn't a total loss), Julian attempting to re-write history (in the second-to-last episode no less), etc.

A much better final season than season 8 would've been though, for sure.

Offline Liz

• Forums Manager
  • Posting 24/7
  • SophiaJamesScott
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »
3-ish.

I loved all of the Scott stuff (NH/Keith and Deb returning/Dan's death), but that's about it personally.

Other than 9x11, and certain parts of 9x08, 9x10 and 9x13, the season was pretty forgettable in my eyes.

Too much stupidity: Brooke's Xavier crap, the Cheller "bromance", Clay's absolute wtf of a storyline (though it gave CQ Logan and made them somewhat bearable so it wasn't a total loss), Julian attempting to re-write history (in the second-to-last episode no less), etc.

This is pretty much EXACTLY how I feel. I enjoyed how they ended Dan for sure, but there was so much "filler" stuff in there.

Nathan was barely around (although I didn't FULLY hate the kidnap storyline). It got boring though that our main guy was MIA. Gave Haley a chance to shine. :)

BX stuff was ridic, Chris and Chase were WAYYYYYY over done, I couldn't stand them and then in the finale of all things they continued with them .... that bothered me a lot.

I don't usually like CQ, but Clay's story this time around was pretty awesome. I LOVE Logan && am sad that we don't get more of him :(

Julian was pretty useless as well -- I didn't care for his storyline too much, just praising Brooke's history only was a bit much & re-writing it so that she would be the star -- it's just not how it happened and I found that obnoxious.

It was a better finale than 8 would have been (although I loved the season 8 finale and wouldn't have minded it being the series finale). It gave closure that was needed, but once again filler characters that didn't need to be around if you ask me.

Offline EveBlueGirly

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
3-ish.

I pretty much agree with what you've said above.  I would give the Scott storyline a 3.8 (points off for no full-family scenes in the entire season...or series for that matter, the lack of anything Scott-related in 9x12, and lackluster scenes in the only episode they were together pre-kidnapping (9x02)).  The Dan, Haley and Dan/Haley-related scenes on their own, I'd give a 4.5.  Paul and Joy were the actors that carried the season, imo. 

The Brooke storyline with X was awful and made her, and Julian at times, look like they didn't have one brain cell between them.  The cafe rivalry was juvenile and the attempt to re-write 9 seasons of history in 9x12 was also cringe-worthy.  9x12 ranks as one of my least favorite episodes of the entire series.  I'd give the combined Brooke/Julian storylines a 1 if I'm being generous and that's all for the baby in the car scenes and Julian's interactions with Dan.  They should have let him leave the Brooke-bubble more often.

Clay's story was bizarre, but the addition of cutie Logan did wonders for the Clay/Quinn relationship and this was the first season I was actually invested (even if just a little bit) in their storyline.  I'd give it a 3 overall.

S9 wasn't a bad season at all, but it benefited from the fact that it followed S8, the worst/most boring season in the show's history.  It also stands out because it contains one of the series' best episodes in 9x11, a couple of the series' finest acting performances, imo (Joy in 9x08 and Paul in 9x11), and the series finale which, while while too music-heavy, was a mostly nice, nostalgic nod to the history of the show and gave the show the closure it and it's fans deserved. 

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
Not to mention that a show that was once built around TWO brothers, not having EITHER of them in half of the final season certainly didn't help matters. I know that's not the writers' fault, but still.

Offline Sara

• dodger716
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
3.5?

The good things still really stand out.  Basically everything involving the Scott family was beyond amazing.  I even enjoyed CQ/Logan more than I ever expected to.  Both storylines came from a place that was probably over dramatic, but it paid off in the end.

But Brooke/Julian and Chase/Chris, who got a lot of screen time, were a big waste of time.  BJu were all over the place.  I could've liked more emphasis on leaving Davis in the car, Brooke's dad being in her life, or hey...just Brooke being a new mom, since that had gotten so much emphasis for her in the past.  They couldn't settle on anything until Xavier, which was just bad.  We already had enough over the top storylines going on.  And then Brooke's "big" episode which could have been really nostalgic and great was literally rewriting history?  That was the nail in the coffin.  Let's just forget those two characters exist because they bring nothing to the show anymore.  Speaking of which, Chris Kellar should have never been introduced to Chase.  The only way I enjoyed Chase was with minimal screen time and interactions with Chuck or Alex.  Their bromance was wasted potential for Chris Kellar.  Meanwhile characters like Mouth, Milli, and Skills were given little screen time and random storylines. 

Basically I think what they had a vision for turned out great, and who they didn't know what to do with...it showed.

Also for a final season you have big expectations as it is.  Some of mine were to try to get back and acknowledge some of the core relationships and experiences that started the show.  They did that to an extent in the final episodes.   But the fact they chose to use Chad so minimally…I expected more if they had the opportunity to do more.  Big relationships that made the show what it is went unnoticed…obvious disappointment.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:17:19 AM »
Personally I'd give it a 4.8. I am not giving it a 5 because I still consider season 7 as OTH's best season. But S9 came pretty darn close. I've always been a big Haley and Brooke fan and this season both of them had very strong story-lines. Their acting skills improved even more, and their on-screen friendship as great aswell. I LOVED Logan and everything around him, while 9x11 may very well be the best OTH episode ever. I never liked Dan. I hated him. But this episode...made me like him for the first time ever. I was rooting for him. If a show can do that within one episode....that's awesome. A Lucas return made it even better. And Peyton mentions.

The one thing I disliked a bit were the twins / Chris / Chase scenes. I loved Chase's scenes with Chuck and the whole dating with Tara ( that was her name right? ).

I would have loved to see Mia for 1 episode but you can't have it all! And she had a pretty good final scene in S8.

Oh, and the Debb return! YEE! :D

Back, when S8 aired I was hoping that would be the final season but now...I am so glad they ended with S9. They couldn't have done it better imo.

Offline emmajaynex

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
5!
I absouletly loved it, after being a fan for five years & seeing how my favourite show ended I thought I would be extremely sad in a way that it`s ended which I was in a little way but I`m actually not worried that it isnt going to continue because I reckon the last episode was amazing. I loved how the way Dan turned out, as I couldn`t stand him bad & I had a coinsidence that there was more for him than just being the bad guy that killed his brother, I loved how Brooke got her wishes, and her perfect man & two gorgeous boys, I loved how Haley & Nathan have always stuck together and how good James was with his acting on being kidnapped, I loved it all :)

Offline mirandamirre

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
3-ish.

OMG!! Iloved the last season of OTH. And yeah it really got a better final then season 8 had.  :)

Offline xfreekx

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
For me it is as good as it could have been. There were so many times i thought the show was done, i'm so happy they we're able to film a proper ending knowing it was the end. It sealed up the show perfectly.

I think it was better than Season 8 and definitely better than Season 6.

It was sad to see it go, but i think it was time and they ended on a high note.

Offline giokn90

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »
Clay's storyline is actually pretty realistic.
I'm studying now what he suffered during the 9th season ;)

Offline LizzieBra

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
Loved it, I'd give it a 5... I'd give the series finale a 100 out of 5.

Perfect ending, I watch it every now and then and still get teary.

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
I think season 9 was better than season 8, but other than that I still don't rank it any higher than the other ones. I did like the finale, though. There were some things that could've been done better, but I felt like they really put some effort into it and I think that was one of the things missing from the moment LP left the show and the whole dynamic changed.

Offline tututu

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
I just finished my rewatch of the whole show and I gotta say I really loved season 9. Sure, there was some stuff I could've done without, but it was WAY better than season 8 and I'm really thankful that the show ended with this season instead of season 8
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:12:24 AM by tututu »
'' Like sucks. Then it gets better. Then it sucks again. Then it gets better again. ''

Offline DJ

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
I just finished my rewatch of the whole show and I gotta say I really loved season 9. Sure, there was some stuff I could've done without, but it was WAY better than season 9 and I'm really thankful that the show ended with this season instead of season 8

I'm envious! I've been planning a rewatch, just haven't had the chance.  I do agree with you, though, that Season 9 was a much better way to end the series than Season 8 would have been.