Author Topic: Rumored abortion storyline  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Sara

• dodger716
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
Rumored abortion storyline
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
In season 4 when they were playing up the pregnancy storyline between Haley/Brooke, it was rumored that it was intended for Brooke to get pregnant and then have an abortion.  But the network didn't approve of that, thus we got a child from Naley. 

So...are you glad it happened the way it did, or would you rather they had taken the pregnancy storyline a different route?

Offline Jerret

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • meow
Re: Rumored abortion storyline
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
While I love the whole Haley pregnancy storyline in S4 with it kinda mirroring Dan/Karen and how Nate was different, I still do with they would have went the route of Brooke being pregnant. I just think with everything that happened with the BLP triangle it would have just went well with that storyline. I think the end of S3/4x01 showed they were defiantly leaning more towards Brooke being the one who was pregnant and it did make more sense, especially after NH having the birth control argument. I get that abortion is a controversial topic and all, but I think it's stupid that the network didn't allow it to go through.

Offline BiggestSophiaBushFan

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • B r o o k e <3
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
Thanks God there wasn't an abortion storyline for Brooke.

Offline gap

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »
Where did this rumor come from? I've never heard anyone but fans talking about it. So if Brooke was supposed to be pregnant does that mean Haley was never supposed to be? Or were they both supposed to be pregnant? Rewatching the episodes it honestly seems like it was always an intentional mislead.

Did they change they story between s3 and 4? Because they didn't have enough time to do it in s4 since we found out Haley was pregnant in episode 4.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:39:18 PM by gap »

Offline Destined4Greatness

• All you need is one.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »
Yeah I'm glad it was done this way. Brooke would have aborted the baby for a dumb ass reason (LP most likely), and I'm 99.9% sure Lucas would have never forgiven her for it considering his own abandonment issues with his own father. So yeah, while they were already in an unhealthy relationship, this would have made it even worse.

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Eeeek that would have been terrible! A very controversial storyline as well and I think in some cases it might have put people off Brooke, so I'm very glad that didn't happen.

NickJess

Offline BiggestSophiaBushFan

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • B r o o k e <3
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
^even more after the sex tape with Nathan.

Offline Lulu-144

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »
In season 4 when they were playing up the pregnancy storyline between Haley/Brooke, it was rumored that it was intended for Brooke to get pregnant and then have an abortion.  But the network didn't approve of that, thus we got a child from Naley. 

So...are you glad it happened the way it did, or would you rather they had taken the pregnancy storyline a different route?

I'm glad it happened like that.
n a t h a n + h a l e y

Offline trinalynne

• Posting 24/7
  • ♥ 7.7.05 ♥
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
I'm not sure how I would have felt about that. Since it didn't happen, it's really hard to say because it would have been a completely different show for the rest of the series had that been the case. Brooke having an abortion and there being no Jamie at that point would have changed everything. I lean more towards pro-choice so I don't really think it would have changed my feelings about Brooke, but I am glad Naley was the first couple on the show to make a family for themselves.
♥ "In love with you completely"

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Ehh, I was always torn about this. It's really no secret that Mark originally wanted Brooke to have this abortion SL and gave us hints to that in the S3 finale but then the CW didn't allow him to do it.

On the one hand, Brooke aborting a baby would mean NH wouldn't have Jamie and I wouldn't actually mind that because Haley's pregnancy was completely overshadowed and it was way too soon for NH to have a baby (although I don't know if I can say if anything's too soon for a couple who gets married in HS...) so Brooke aborting = no NH baby. And I wouldn't have minded that at all.

But on the other hand, I doubt Mark and/or Sophia could handle and deliver such a controversial and "heavy" storyline. And Brooke's character would've been destroyed but then again S4 destroyed her either way so I guess that wouldn't matter much.

But at the end of the day, if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Offline sophiaisawesome

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
Why would an "abortion" destroy a character? I still don't get why it's still so...taboo. It happens everyday and it doesn't make "girls" that do it monsters. Brooke, at that stage was FAR from ready to have a kid. I wish they would have went that way...speacially since from s5 on, all she wanted was to have a family, that would have been kinda ironic you know.

I'm glad they still did slipped something about abortion in 4x04 with Shelly.

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
It depends on how you feel about abortion.  ME--I'm very against it so it would have destroyed Brooke's character for me.  I wouldn't say she's a "monster", but I would have lost all respect for her.

Same here.

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Why would an "abortion" destroy a character? I still don't get why it's still so...taboo. It happens everyday and it doesn't make "girls" that do it monsters.

It's still so taboo because people see abortion as killing a defenceless life (myself included) and just because it happens every day, doesn't make it right. People die from starvation everyday, but does that make it right? Sorry I don't mean to get into a whole for/against argument on abortion on here because I know it's a very touchy subject but that's just how I feel. Of course it doesn't make girls that decide to abort their babies "monsters", but a lot of people see abortion as wrong. Therefore by going down that route with Brooke, meant the writers were risking losing half of her fans that they'd previously established by a moral choice. I'm very glad they didn't choose to go down that route as I just don't think I'd have liked Brooke's character as much due to that decision. I also don't think it would ever be something Brooke would do or in her nature to do. But maybe that's just because I've seen how desperate Brooke wanted a child in S5 onwards.

It depends on how you feel about abortion.  ME--I'm very against it so it would have destroyed Brooke's character for me.  I wouldn't say she's a "monster", but I would have lost all respect for her.

Exactly!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:34:39 PM by iloveoth16 »

NickJess

Offline trinalynne

• Posting 24/7
  • ♥ 7.7.05 ♥
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 06:00:59 PM »
Why would an "abortion" destroy a character? I still don't get why it's still so...taboo. It happens everyday and it doesn't make "girls" that do it monsters. Brooke, at that stage was FAR from ready to have a kid. I wish they would have went that way...speacially since from s5 on, all she wanted was to have a family, that would have been kinda ironic you know.

Agreed, which is exactly why I doubt it would have changed my feeling towards her character. It would be one thing if she were aborting babies left and right after not learning the first time, but she wouldn't be. And since this is a show geared towards young females it would have made sense to address a topic that lots of young girls have to deal with. And I don't think by putting it in a storyline it would be condoning it either. If anything, it would show just show emotionally tolling it can be on someone who goes through with it.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else so I apologize if I'm wrong, isn't Christina on Grey's one of your favorite characters even though she had an abortion? What would make Brooke any different? If anything, Christina's way worse since she's a grown adult doctor who still managed to get herself pregnant full on knowing she didn't want to have children, while Brooke still would have been a teenager who isn't as well educated about birth control as Christina should be.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:09:29 PM by trinalynne »
♥ "In love with you completely"

Offline olimix57

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »

I completely agree with you. Season 4 would have been a little more interesting had they gone that road.