Author Topic: Big deal about 8x11?  (Read 4066 times)

Offline gap

Big deal about 8x11?
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »
Okay, so I made this topic to vent more then anything else, but I was on tumblr, and I was looking at a couple of people lists of their top *insert number here* episodes of OTH, and I was was honestly surprised and confused as to why this episode was on many of their lists. And some of them even had it in their top three. I think Zap2It even had it as their number three episode.

I don't get it. At all. I don't see the big deal about this episode. I certainly don't think it's one of the ten best episodes the shows ever done. Maybe top 20. Maybe.

I felt like it was just a bunch of reused plot devises that the show had done before, but done slightly differently and with different characters:

A car crashing off a bridge and someone being trapped inside and almost drowning? Wow. Never done
that before.

A big showdown with someone and the psycho stalker that's been tormenting them? NO WAY! THIS IS BRAND NEW!

I just didn't feel any suspense whatsoever during this ep. At no point did I ever actually think that anyone was really going to die. Even when Brooke "died" it was beyond obvious that she was just going to cough and be okay. The acting and music were good, but I never felt like anyone was ever in any real peril.

Is it because in comparison to the rest of season 8 it was a masterpiece? Season 8 was quite a boring season overall and this was one of the few episode were anything interesting actually happened, so maybe? It certainly was one of the best episodes of s8, but I would never rank it as one of the BEST EPISODES EVER. Does anyone agree? Am I alone in this?

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
Re: Big deal about 8x11?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
I completely disagree. I can see where you're coming from but I don't think it matters whether it was 'new' or not that there was a car crash or a psycho, it was still exciting! I for one absolutely loved it... yes it was a bit far fetched, but tell me, when has OTH ever not been far fetched??! It was tense, dramatic and an all round great episode IMO.

NickJess

Offline Chassi

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »
It wasn't epic but since s8 sucked this was somewhat exciting. Also I found it weird that some people actually thought Brooke was gonna die. Like really? Even if you don't read spoilers it was very predictable that she was gonna wake up.

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
I totally agree with the OP and sms. The acting was just LAUGHABLE. I remember watching it with my sister and we were actually laughing our asses off at Austin's acting when Julian was trying to resuscitate Brooke. So, so bad. And this is coming from someone who thinks overall the acting on this show is decent. And it was beyond obvious that Brooke wouldn't die. Like come the hell on. So predictable, cliché and over-the-top. Not to mention the whole Katie/Quinn mess. As if I didn't dislike Quinn enough. It was just so bad.

Offline Sara

• dodger716
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
It shocks me too.  Not just that some fans think it is so great, but in some of the commentaries or OTH features you have this episode being referred to as "landmark" or "the best of the series."

If anything it was exciting at the time because there had been such a dry spell of drama.  But the storylines were nothing that new to us, and knowing the show, the suspense was minimal because you knew everyone would end up okay. 

The episode started out at a spelling bee.  There was an epic showdown between Quinn and her boyfriend's dead wife's evil twin.  Major bonding moments for Brooke and Miss Lauren.  The only real heartfelt moments could have been found in Brooke/Jamie or Brooke/Julian, but even those relationships felt contrived at that point.  They at least tried for some drama, but I don't think it lives up to the hype it gets.

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:46 PM »
Maybe top 20. Maybe.

Not even. Even the crappiest episode in the high school years trumps this.

Offline BiggestSophiaBushFan

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • B r o o k e <3
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
For me , it wasn't an epic episode (as the most we had not just in season 8 but in the previous ones) and it wasn't the worst episode either.

Offline LPLover623

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • Icon/Sig: Agnes!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »
Completely agree, dont get the hype. It was rubbish

"over-possessive best friends, with weird lesbian energy...and Haley"
Brooke♥Peyton

Offline German_Girl

• Posting Freak
  • God kissed the earth once...where Germany is now!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily say that this epi was one of the more "epic" ones as well,but if others think that way...why not?It lies in the eyes of the beholder.These fans don't care if storylines are overused and honestly...after 9 seasons you can't expect that Mark comes up with something unique or some rare storyline.^^

These fans take what they can get without reading too much into it.And I also THINK that these fans don't pay that much attention to the acting or how many scenes every character gets.I just assume that they can be satisfied alot easier than our kind here. :D :D :D (Me included of course).

This whole "stalker" stuff WAS boring as hell,but other than that.Drama.Drama.Drama.^.^

Offline gophergirl21

• There Is No Finish Line
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
I completely agree with the OP. There was nothing epic about it. The whole episode was overplayed and rather boring if you ask me. We all knew none of the important characters were dying so there was no suspense in that. I can honestly say I haven't watched it again since it first aired and I don't ever plan to. If it was such a good episode, I probably would have seen it a handful of times already.
Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Perform in the present.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
It was certainly one of my favorites in S8, but I agree that the commercials made it look bigger than it actually was. The acting was spot on thought and even thought they re-used certain scenarios I wasn't to bothered by it.

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »
I agree with the OP. Actually, I think the OP was way too nice with this episode.

It was one of the most LOL-worthy episodes in OTH history. Recycled, contrived, recycled, contrived, awful writing, contrived, awful acting, recycled, contrived. This is me watching this episode.

The cheesy beginning with Quinn being alone in the huge house and then the contrived BJu argument that came out of nowhere so the even more contrived and supposedly sad scenes in the end would create a greater impact...

The Quinn/Katie stuff...

NH spending the whole episode changing a tire...

Quinn finally getting out of the house only to go back inside when she had a jeep that could easily countour the tree in the way...

BJu having an insane contrived conversation about their dysfunctional relationship and how they should stay in TH after all, how Jamie was going to be the best man and how Julian was sorry for the fight while there's a child in the backseat in a sinking car...

The "I'm your storm" line...

When it all finished and I knew Brooke would have her ass excessively kissed until the rest of the season because of this...

(If only Haley knew how to BJu talking about their relationship seemed more important than saving Jamie...)

Julian should've saved Brooke first, Jamie would've drowned and then NH would arrive. Seeing their son dead and BJu in an intense make-out session, Nathan would throw them both in the river...

And that would've been an intense and more realistic ending.

Offline Chassi

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
^LMAO, omg i loved your whole post

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
L.M.F.A.O That post was just...perfection. John, you're my hero.

The ''I'm your storm'' line  :laugh: Peak Mark Schwahn.

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
LOL John even though I really enjoyed 8x11, that whole post was amazing! Seriously laughed out loud :)

NickJess