Author Topic: What Bothered Me About the Final Scene  (Read 11100 times)

Offline cyke

Re: What Bothered Me About the Final Scene
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
They were all victims of a powerful curse and now they're all trapped in a town where they don't age.

Ooops, wrong show.

hahaha

just watched it again.. aside from the obvious non-aging.. on second look it was much better than when i first watched it last night.

Offline gophergirl21

• There Is No Finish Line
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
THIS.  Most people, assuming they take care of themselves physically,  don't look "old" or even "older" when you're 34 (the age I assume they were if Jamie was 17) vs 27. 

What did people want them to do with Nathan?  Put gray at his temples?  Put him in a wig (god forbid with this show's track record with wigs!)?  As for him still having the buzz cut in the time jump, I don't think that's unusual.  First, its his best look ever (imo) and Haley probably encourages him to keep the sexy going with the buzzcut and 5-oclock shadow.  Second, men (in general) aren't exactly known for having multiple hairstyles in their lifetime. I know my own father pretty much stuck with a pattern his entire adult life...longer hair/beard in the winter, buzz cut/no facial hair in the warmer months.

So yeah, for me, it didn't bother me.  Maybe if you're younger (haven't yet reached your mid-20s to mid-30s) you don't realize how little you change in that time period.

I totally agree with this. I would have hated if they attempted the whole wig thing on any of the characters, especially Nathan. Besides, we could all see how much she was loving the buzzcut so it's no surprise he would keep it as he got older.

Most people don't change that much physically between later 20s to early 30s. If they take care of themselves that is. Half the older adults on this show look nowhere near old enough to have kids in their 20s so the fact that they don't change much into the time jump wasn't an issue for me.
Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Perform in the present.

Offline Danfan23

• I Will Love One Tree Hill Always & Forever......
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »
Yeah, I guess. But they'd look somewhat different.

And (obviously) this is reading wayyy too much into this & there's nothing that could be done about it in order to represent the whole group @ the end of the show, but the other thing that bothered me about that time jump is that they're all still ... there, haha.

Like, Skills & Bevin just randomly seem to be back together now & Chase is still there & Chris is still there & I dunno. It seems like in that amount of time people would come & go & things would change more. Just look @ how much crap changed in the 10 years since Tric! opened, LoL!

Again, I know that's wayyy over-analyzing, haha! But there's something about that scene that just wasn't realistic enough for me to full-on buy into it I guess.

I couldn't agree more, the time jump was not well done. The characters actually looked exactly same and seemed like they were in all the same positions in life as we left them. And really how hard was it for hair and make up to change Nathan lol, he looked exactly the same. So it was big continuity error. I have no idea how many years it was. Because if it was 5 years wouldn't Jamie be 13 ? And he looked a lot bigger in that final scene (Or at least his back did lol)

Don't get me wrong I liked the scene ("Caw") but it was very rushed, and I wish it had been a legitimate 2hour (1hr 1/2) show as opposed to a 1 hour documentary send of before hand.

But other than that I will miss this show, especially Naley and their family. And of course Dan, somehow the show managed to redeem his character. The mark of an amazing show.

OTH <3

Offline AshleyW

• Forums Supervisor
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • ♫ Always Keep Fighting ♫
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
Yeah, I don't know. I still (even today), don't really agree with the majority of you guys. Maybe my using the word(s) "aging" wasn't the best example, because yes, I DO agree that most people who take care of themselves are not going to obviously age very much between their 20's & 30's ... but people still do change.

I mean, look @ how many hairstyles, etc all of the characters (including Nathan), have gone through throughout the show.

I get where you guys are coming from & what you're saying & you can't expect everything to be spot on perfect or anything - But it's just, I dunno, something that bothered me, personally & I'm still not over it. I just feel the makeup / hair department could have put a BIT more work into that scene to make it feel somewhat more realistic.

Although I DO also agree w/ Krystal that I could've easily gotten what I wanted on that & have them do a terrible job or have it come off looking bad on some of them, etc & it would've been even worse, sooo there IS that, haha!

Another thing that might differentiate me from some of you guys too is that I don't really like Nathan / James w/ a buzz-cut all that much. It's not like, horrific or anything to me, lol! But I just much prefer him w/ hair. Maybe internally it irked me that he has a buzz-cut again or has kept 1 for that many years, I dunno, lol!  :P
♫  ♥   Live. Laugh. Love. ... Music!   ♫  ♥

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »
Yeah, I don't know. I still (even today), don't really agree with the majority of you guys. Maybe my using the word(s) "aging" wasn't the best example, because yes, I DO agree that most people who take care of themselves are not going to obviously age very much between their 20's & 30's ... but people still do change.

I mean, look @ how many hairstyles, etc all of the characters (including Nathan), have gone through throughout the show.

I get where you guys are coming from & what you're saying & you can't expect everything to be spot on perfect or anything - But it's just, I dunno, something that bothered me, personally & I'm still not over it. I just feel the makeup / hair department could have put a BIT more work into that scene to make it feel somewhat more realistic.

Although I DO also agree w/ Krystal that I could've easily gotten what I wanted on that & have them do a terrible job or have it come off looking bad on some of them, etc & it would've been even worse, sooo there IS that, haha!

Another thing that might differentiate me from some of you guys too is that I don't really like Nathan / James w/ a buzz-cut all that much. It's not like, horrific or anything to me, lol! But I just much prefer him w/ hair. Maybe internally it irked me that he has a buzz-cut again or has kept 1 for that many years, I dunno, lol!  :P

Haha ICA! And totally agree with you about Nathan's short hair, I'm not a big fan at all. Maybe that's why it bothered me so much too.

I agree with you about how many changes/hairstyles they've gone through even each year on the show.. it just seems weird that they wouldn't change even a bit. E.g. they could have cut Julian's hair slightly (just to show a change), maybe changed Chris Keller's glasses... as I personally doubt he'd be wearing the exact same ones/same style 5 years on! Maybe they could have curled Sophia's hair slightly or put it up in a ponytail to show a bit of a difference, and the same with Quinn. I don't know, just done something to each girl at least. Surely it wouldn't be that hard? Not anything drastic, just slightly different for how they've had it for the rest of the season. They could have even had nathan wear a cap with ravens on??! IDK, it just couldn't have been that hard??!

NickJess

Offline Danfan23

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
Loving all the comments BTW, but where are we getting the 5 years from  ? How do we know it's 5 years ? It would seem like 9 or 8 to me ?

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
Loving all the comments BTW, but where are we getting the 5 years from  ? How do we know it's 5 years ? It would seem like 9 or 8 to me ?

Oh that's true actually. I'm not actually sure haha! I think I just read somewhere a while ago that there was going to be a 5 year flashforward, but that could be completely wrong. (I may have made it up haha) Apologies if it is!

NickJess

Offline Danfan23

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
Oh that's true actually. I'm not actually sure haha! I think I just read somewhere a while ago that there was going to be a 5 year flashforward, but that could be completely wrong. (I may have made it up haha) Apologies if it is!

LOL it's all good, I just wanted to see if anyone could clarify. I really wish the episode had been 1hr 1/2 like I thought it was. The documentary was good but I would have rather ed the extra episode.

Offline AshleyW

• Forums Supervisor
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • ♫ Always Keep Fighting ♫
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »
I agree with you about how many changes/hairstyles they've gone through even each year on the show.. it just seems weird that they wouldn't change even a bit. E.g. they could have cut Julian's hair slightly (just to show a change), maybe changed Chris Keller's glasses... as I personally doubt he'd be wearing the exact same ones/same style 5 years on! Maybe they could have curled Sophia's hair slightly or put it up in a ponytail to show a bit of a difference, and the same with Quinn. I don't know, just done something to each girl at least. Surely it wouldn't be that hard? Not anything drastic, just slightly different for how they've had it for the rest of the season. They could have even had nathan wear a cap with ravens on??! IDK, it just couldn't have been that hard??!
This, exactly!

Nothing drastic @ all, that'd be completely unrealistic the other way because as (I think) we all agree on, they wouldn't have like AGED very much @ all or anything. It's much more about style / looks.

And like you're saying, it's not like they would've had to spend hrs in the hair / make-up chair or that it would have cost the show very much money or anything to just change up the girls' hair a little bit, get Chris a different pair of glasses (even though I adore his glasses, hehe) & I LOVE your Nathan idea! Just put a friggin' hat on him like they did in the 'flashbacks' to college & stuff when he had longer hair @ the beginning of s5.

We could've easily gotten him 1 of my daddy & my caps .. my daddy LOVES his Tree Hill Ravens cap ... see?! hehehe! ;D

♫  ♥   Live. Laugh. Love. ... Music!   ♫  ♥

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
^I love it!!

NickJess

Offline Krystal

• IntheMoon
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • long live. ♫
    • tumblr
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Yeah it was def about 5 years, cos Jamie would've been about 9/10 at the end of the series (hence why Haley mentioned the whole 'I've seen that in your eyes for the past 9 years') so I assumed he was probably supposed to be a Freshman or Sophomore, and then Logan would be about 11 and the others would be about 6.

I don't really like Nathan's buzz cut either tbh. I mean its not terrible or anything but I just prefer a guy to have hair.

I think they did try to change Brooke/Quinn's hair a bit? Brooke's looked a bit longer and was straight (where as she's worn it curly and side-parted for the majority of the season) whilst Quinn's looked a bit shorter and was parted differently as well, and it wasn't as curly/wavy as it usually is.

The only way they would've really been able to do it is wigs, as I don't think any of them would've agreed to cut/dye their hair just for the finale, and wigs tend to look awkward. (Like when they put that light blonde one on Peyton. I didn't think it was that bad but I know a lot of people hated it)

I don't think its that unrealistic they didn't change their hair much. Like I used to change my hair loads and was constantly changing from brown to blonde to red and between a side fringe and full fringe, but the last three years my hair has just been blonde, wavy and I've been letting it grow out. I think everyone has that hairstyle they always go back to as a sort of comfort blanket.

There is only One T r e e Hill.

Offline Danfan23

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
So if it was 5 years he'd be 14 ? The back of him looked pretty older than that lol. I think the 5 year statement is a rumor that has just mothballed lol. A 14 year old sophomore looked like a 17 year old Junior. And to beat Nathans all time scoring record at 14 hhhmmmmmm.

Offline fmm412

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Who remembers if the words under Jamie's jersey said "scoring leader" or "scoring champ"? Because if it said the former, that would be all-time and would be kinda unbelievable if he was a freshman, but if it said the latter, then that would be only a single-season record, and would happen in one year..

Offline tssttr

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
I don't see how he would beat the scoring title as a freshman or sophomore.  I also think it's kind of weird that his jersey number would be retired before he graduated.  I mean nothing really makes sense in Tree Hill world, so it's OK.

Offline EveBlueGirly

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure the time jump was more like 7-8 years vs 5.  Jamie would have to at least be a Junior if he beat Nathan's scoring record so he'd likely be 17 in the time jump.