Author Topic: What Bothered Me About the Final Scene  (Read 11115 times)

Offline AshleyW

• Forums Supervisor
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • ♫ Always Keep Fighting ♫
What Bothered Me About the Final Scene
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »
Hey Guys!

I HATE to be all debby-downer or something on finale night when I truly feel it was SO incredibly well done & I could not be more happy &/or thankful for it, etc.

But this REALLY bothered me, sooo I'm hoping maybe there's some other outlooks or perspectives on it for me to come @ it from.

The last scene was supposed to be a time jump of, what?  5 - 7 years? Cause Jamie's in high school & has beaten Nathan's scoring record.

The only viable way for me to see this scene is if it wasn't really a time jump but was more of a like, dream futuristic sequence thingy or something.

This is why - Could the make-up department have done NOTHING to make them look even a LITTLE different?? Like, Nathan's gonna have a shaved head all that time or just shave it exactly the same again? Everyone that I noticed besides Haley (who looked a bit different), looked EXACTLY the same in hairstyle's & clothes & what not.

I dunno. I get that it's no big thing & I'm REALLY not trying to come in w/ a totally negative perspective on a super moving closing scene, but for some reason that just really seems to irk me.

Like, they all look exactly the same to me. Nothing's seriously changed @ all in that amount of time .. ??  haha.

I dunno.  :P
♫  ♥   Live. Laugh. Love. ... Music!   ♫  ♥

Offline cyke

Re: What Bothered Me About the Final Scene
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:52 AM »
i agree with you, if the show is going to do this, make us believe that time has passed. joy was the only character that looked somewhat different because of her hair, everyone else looked the same and as young as ever. that took away from the scene cuz u arent in that moment, u dont feel like years have passed. i mean look at nathan, if anything he looks younger lol.

Offline fmm412

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:32 AM »
I see what you guys are sayin but they were supposed to be what, 26-ish in the show? You usually dont look THAT different from 26-31.. I mean in 5 years from now, the actors in real life would probably look pretty much the same, lolz.

And P.S. - the 5 year time-jump never came from Mark, at least I'm not aware of it. For all we know it could have been more than 5 years, and it didnt even show on the screen "5 years later" or anything. And, as someone else pointed out, it could have been a single season scoring record they were referring to, and not a career long one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:38:06 AM by fmm412 »

Offline AshleyW

• Forums Supervisor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »
Yeah, I guess. But they'd look somewhat different.

And (obviously) this is reading wayyy too much into this & there's nothing that could be done about it in order to represent the whole group @ the end of the show, but the other thing that bothered me about that time jump is that they're all still ... there, haha.

Like, Skills & Bevin just randomly seem to be back together now & Chase is still there & Chris is still there & I dunno. It seems like in that amount of time people would come & go & things would change more. Just look @ how much crap changed in the 10 years since Tric! opened, LoL!

Again, I know that's wayyy over-analyzing, haha! But there's something about that scene that just wasn't realistic enough for me to full-on buy into it I guess.

Offline fmm412

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:40:04 AM »
Maybe a lot of them are just visiting? Haha, just a thought, but I get what you're saying. =D

Offline AshleyW

• Forums Supervisor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:49:21 AM »
Maybe a lot of them are just visiting? Haha, just a thought
That actually IS a really good thought!

Like, the perfect time to return to Tree Hill would be for a good old-fashioned Ravens game. .. Uncle Luke, especially.  :P

Offline cyke

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:50 AM »
its mean to be a flashforward but when all the characters look the same as they did, it takes away from it and even though u go from mid to late twenties to early to mid thirties, theres still a change. and i mean, only haley looked like she changed, not that she got older that she changed lol, thats what bothered me about the scene cuz its something like that that takes away from the moment. i also didnt like the song choice at the end, too uplifting to upbeat, i wanted it to be more mellow, shoot i got emotional at the end of the special lol and it had  lot to do with the music.

Offline AshleyW

• Forums Supervisor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:02:20 AM »
i also didnt like the song choice at the end, too uplifting to upbeat, i wanted it to be more mellow, shoot i got emotional at the end of the special lol and it had  lot to do with the music.
Oh my gosh, you didn't like "One Tree Hill" playing @ the end?!  :o

That was my favorite part about, like, ... the entire series! lmao! In my eyes, there couldn't have truly been any other coda song for the series finale besides "One Tree Hill", haha.

Offline cyke

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:23:46 AM »
Let me clarify that i didnt like the choice not the song if that makes sense lol. I wouldve chosen a different song though lol .. I mean it was a fitting song but like i said i wanted something more mellow or even idwb play.. But yeah im still not sure how i feel about that last scene.. Ask me tom

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:07:15 AM »
I completely agree with the OP! It did bother me as well, and I really didn't want it to :( Especially Nathan's hair... it was just a shame, they could have let it grow! Also agree with you Ashley about Chris/Chase etc ALL still being there. It seems a bit unrealistic especially as Haley told Chris she was going to let him go and go on tour. IDK... I just don't really get why he'd be there, but I suppose Mark just didn't want to leave Tyler out from the last scene.

NickJess

Offline Krystal

• IntheMoon
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • long live. ♫
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
I agree that they could've done something to age them a bit, but I don't think it matters too much. I'd rather have them all not aged much/at all, than have them take a note from the Harry Potter school of aging and have it just look bad/fake/awkward. I don't think they could've let Nathan's hair grow without waiting to film the finale, 'cos then it would've been a bit longer before the finale, and it takes like two months for most people to even grow their hair an inch.

There is only One T r e e Hill.

Offline bethy10

• Posting Freak
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Even with the time jump they're only like 34. And considering there are many 34 year olds who still look quite young, it doesn't astonish me much that they didn't make them age. But the least they could have done was change up the hair or something. LOL.

Offline cyke

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »
yes they changed the hair for only 1 character lol. but i believe the last shot actually ended up being the first shot they filmed for the finale. but at leasty wit the girls, let them do something with it lol.

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »
They were all victims of a powerful curse and now they're all trapped in a town where they don't age.

Ooops, wrong show.

Offline EveBlueGirly

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »
Even with the time jump they're only like 34. And considering there are many 34 year olds who still look quite young, it doesn't astonish me much that they didn't make them age. But the least they could have done was change up the hair or something. LOL.

THIS.  Most people, assuming they take care of themselves physically,  don't look "old" or even "older" when you're 34 (the age I assume they were if Jamie was 17) vs 27. 

What did people want them to do with Nathan?  Put gray at his temples?  Put him in a wig (god forbid with this show's track record with wigs!)?  As for him still having the buzz cut in the time jump, I don't think that's unusual.  First, its his best look ever (imo) and Haley probably encourages him to keep the sexy going with the buzzcut and 5-oclock shadow.  Second, men (in general) aren't exactly known for having multiple hairstyles in their lifetime. I know my own father pretty much stuck with a pattern his entire adult life...longer hair/beard in the winter, buzz cut/no facial hair in the warmer months.

So yeah, for me, it didn't bother me.  Maybe if you're younger (haven't yet reached your mid-20s to mid-30s) you don't realize how little you change in that time period.