Author Topic: Julian writing himself into THHS  (Read 16629 times)

Offline gophergirl21

• There Is No Finish Line
Re: Julian writing himself into THHS
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
What I don't understand is why he even said anything about basing it on Lucas' book when he was just going to rewrite most of it. If he wants to rewrite it fine, but don't start off by saying it's based on the book when it's clearly not going to be.

And inserting himself in the story will change Brooke because her past experiences shaped the person she is. If he plans on making it almost completely fiction then just say that and of hiding under the guise of it being based on the book when it's certainly not.
Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Perform in the present.

Offline Charl18

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
If he wants to write himself into the high school years he should have been Tim's brother because they are both pathetic.   

Hahahahaha. This was so harsh and probably uncalled for. But it made me laugh.

Offline kayleighOTHfan23

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
It's understandable for Julian to change things to not exactly how it happened even though it's based on real life because, well, it's a TV show and obviously he'll have creative control over it and do what would be best for the show. BUT he kept going on about how people would connect with Brooke's vulnerability and that he wanted to share her story and the book would make such a good TV show etc etc. Which is great. But adding a character that changed Brooke's life when she was 23 to be there when she was 16? Why? He's making a show about her teenage years and that addition completely changes it. And it's weird how they're basing it off Lucas's book. If it's called An Unkindness of Ravens or Ravens then it's a bit silly because that's Lucas's story, not Brooke's. And again, I like it and it's a nice refresher that it's those years from Brooke's perspective, but adding in Julian just completely changes it. Tbh it's not even Brooke's story because adding Julian in as a love interest just makes it completely different. There's no trace of Julian in the book, which Julian has read several times, but he's putting himself in there as a basketball star and Brooke's boyfriend because... well... why?

I know people might think it's awkward for Julian to make TV Brooke be with guys on the TV show that really happened in real life, but if that's the case, don't bother making it in the first place. He doesn't want  to write her being in love with Lucas and having sex Nathan so he slots himself in there? Did they not say in season 6 that they were glad they didn't meet in high school because he was a geeky mathlete and she was a cheerleader? Can't really remember but either way, Julian's also rewriting himself as a character by saying he makes game winning shots. Which, again, is okay for adapting real life to fiction, but it's meant to be about his wife's actual life and that story isn't being told like he claims it is if it's told this way. It's understandable they wish they'd met eachother earlier, but they didn't, and Brooke had her life before him and if he's wanting to make a story of that then why on earth would he add himself in? Maybe if it was him like he actually was as a teenager but at Tree Hill High, where he's just a geek at school then after a while comes out of his shell and they fall in love when they're older, like what really happened, but no, Julian's the basketball stud who's making game winning shots and making sex tapes with Brooke. I'm not overly bothered by it because we won't see it play out but the fact they've made all this happen is just a bit of a bummer because we all know that's not how it happened. Making changes to fit your vision - good, making changes to completely alter the story you're wanting to tell - not good.

Offline Callum.

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
I like the way he's making it from Brooke's perspective because, to Julian, she is the most important person that's in that book and it would be a refreshing change. But I don't get him adding himself into the story. It doesn't seem to make sense.

But it's the penultimate episode so I am gonna roll with it.

Offline kayleighOTHfan23

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
I like the way he's making it from Brooke's perspective because, to Julian, she is the most important person that's in that book and it would be a refreshing change. But I don't get him adding himself into the story. It doesn't seem to make sense.
Thanks for saying what I was trying to put across in 3 sentences instead of 500! Ha. I always seem to feel the need to ramble.

Offline Charl18

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »

But it's the penultimate episode so I am gonna roll with it.
i agree with this. I can see why he wants it all about Brooke. But adding himself, whyy?!

Offline trinalynne

• Posting 24/7
  • ♥ 7.7.05 ♥
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
LOL he makes the game winning shot  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude does he even play basketball? he's not sporty is he?

The same guy who was chasing butterflies around a baseball field making the game winning shot in a basketball game?...yea I just don't see it.
♥ "In love with you completely"

Offline olimix57

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »
^^ Julian did make a winning shot on his wedding day.

Offline B.Davis*

• icon-?
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
Julian's pathetic excuse for a man. He's cringe-worthy and everytime I see him I wanna punch him really hard in the stupid face.

Offline SirMixAlot

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • DRIZZY DRAKE MAN
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
^^ LOLLLLLLLLLLLing forever.

:laugh:

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Offline giokn90

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
To be honest, Austin Nichols actually had some basketball experience, watch Glory Road and you'll see :D

Offline kayleighOTHfan23

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »

^True but he still wasn't an athlete in school, he was a mathlete. I know you can be both but Julian has said it himself that he was never into sports and was a geek. Plenty of people can get the ball through the net on an empty court and we've never been shown that Julian likes basketball in any way other than that one scene. So not only is Julian changing Brooke's story by adding him as a character, he's changing his own by making his character someone he wasn't.

Even if you don't think of it as OTH seasons 1-4 but think of it as Lucas's book, it's even stranger/stupider. An Unkindness of Ravens is really the only way Julian knows the story of what happened in those years, along with whatever Peyton and Brooke might have told him.

So you take an Unkindness of Ravens, a book where Lucas speaks about his life, mainly about being in love with Peyton but also having a relationship with this amazing girl called Brooke who he thinks is going to change the world someday. Julian reads this book, loves it, connects with Brooke, eventually marries her and has a family with her, reads the book again and decides to make it a TV show based from her perspective. It's a great idea. An Unkindess of Ravens from Brooke's eyes. OH but let's add Julian in there too! As a star basketball player! And who makes a sex tape with Brooke! That won't change the story whatsoever! Come onnn. That's not basing it off the story in the book at all.

Offline Bugger

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »

Oh right, he totally did!

As for the whole TV thing. My take on it all is that Julian's creating a show BASED on the events that actually happened, but decided to be creative and add his own little spin on things. I'm not sure if people expected him to just copy Lucas' book and turn in it to a show without changing a thing, but if that's the case, then thank god that didn't happen. So it really doesn't matter if "real life" Julian isn't good as basketball or if he wasn't there during the high school years or if TV Julian was the one that made the sex tape with Brooke. It's just a show! If Julian actually just took the book and made it in to a show, then that would have been incredibly lame in my opinion. So props to him/Mark for doing something different. Wasn't expecting that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:38:52 PM by Bugger »

Offline BJGfan

• Simply Stunning
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
How exactly is he adding his own spin on things? He basically just replaced the characters.
Paley--they're a team!

Offline Bugger

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
Just because he added a Julian character to the show does not mean he's taking out Lucas or Nathan or whoever. He may have changed certain things, like the sextape and the winning basket, but there was nothing there indicating that LN wont be apart of the show. So yeah, he did put his own spin on things by not only adding a character that wasn't there originally, but changing it up a bit. And with the winning basket thing, Lucas failed to score, and Julian decided to have someone else actually make the shot.