Author Topic: Haleys Maid of Honor Speech  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Mary

• Posting 24/7
  • Love the life you live <3
    • My FB Page (add me!)
Haleys Maid of Honor Speech
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
I don't see what people are so upset about in the speech Haley gave for Brooke.  What was made up and used to prop up their friendship?? I don't get it:

Haley : Well, When I first met Brooke Davis, she had no idea who I was. Of course everyone knew who she was, she was the most popular girl in school. She was head cheerleader, annoyingly pretty (still is), and I used to wonder back then ‘What would it be like to be friends with Brooke? Would she make me popular? Would all the boys start asking me out?’ And then one night I got to hang out with Brooke, all night. Oh, and she didn’t like my name, though, so she decided she was gonna give me a name that, uh, she did like, which ended up being Brooke. And from that moment I knew that I wanted Brooke to be my friend. Not because she was gonna make me popular, and not because boys would start asking me out, but because I got a glimpse of the real Brooke. A girl with the biggest heart that I have ever known. And you know, when you’re in high school, it’s not very easy to let people see who you really are. I could see it though, it was in the eyes. So we became friends, and now she’s my best friend. We’ve been through so much together over the years, and our friendship is still growing. So I know that your friendship and love for Julian will continue to grow every year for the rest of your lives and I feel so lucky to be a part of that. I love you, Brooke Davis.

I'm sure way back when Haley did wonder what it was like to be popular, I don't see anything wrong with that.  And the first night she spent with Brooke, that's pretty spot on, you could tell Haley wanted to be friends with both Peyton and Brooke after that night.  And she didn't say they became friends RIGHT after that, she said after that, which is true and now they are best friends.

I mean I get that Peyton def should've been there and I do believe Peyton is Brooke's best friend, but you can have more than one.  So I don't have an issue with her speech.

Offline bethy10

• Posting Freak
Re: Haleys Maid of Honor Speech
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
What was made up is the fact that Brooke and Haley DID NOT bond whatsoever the first night she ever hung out with Brooke. Considering Brooke was drugged up and passed out majority of the time and when she was sober, she made it a point to say how sad it is that PH were bonding and that they weren't going to be friends the next day or whatever, I don't see how Haley could have gotten a glimpse of who Brooke really is. And not to mention that Haley made it clear more than once that she's not a fan of Brooke and didn't really care to be her friend (i.e. telling Lucas Brooke is "easy" and not inviting her to her party because it was only for "close friends"). So in all of season 1 when did Haley ever show that she wanted to be friends with Brooke?

The writers could have picked a scene when BH really did connect and bonded like Haley's bachelorette party or the reception that BLP threw for NH in season 2. But instead, they rewrote history and made it seem like Haley bonded with Brooke and wanted to be her friend since the night they hung out. That's far from what happened. The only person Haley cared to be friends with and WANTED to be friends with in that particular episode was Peyton. I loved PH's friendship, so I was more upset that they used the episode where PH bonded to prop Brooke.

Offline Mary

• Posting 24/7
  • Love the life you live <3
    • My FB Page (add me!)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
I get what you mean, I just don't see it as really that bad.  They didn't become friends that night and you're right, Brooke was drugged up and she did make that comment about them not going to be friends the next day, about PH.

I guess I just look at when she is talking about seeing Brooke as a girl with a big heart and she could see who Brooke was in her eyes, I guess I just think she is talking about her journey of getting to know Brooke, not really her getting to know Brooke just from that night.  I know she said it like that, that night and everything, but I just kind of hear it how I want to, lol.

I agree about that night, 1x06 I believe, that they did not become friends that night, Brooke was actually pretty rude to haley and there was no meaningful conversation between the two that night.  I think they became friends in season 3, being friendly acquaintances in season 2.  Season 1 their friendship did not exist.  Slightly acquaintances then.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:13:23 AM »
I don't think there was anything wrong with her speech. To me...it came across like that night was the first night they really met eachother and did something together, and that SINCE then their friendship developed. I don't think she was trying to tell she cared for Brooke that night in particular...it just set a few events in motion which resulted in them being best friends.

Like Mary, I don't even think that demolished other friendships...ofcourse Peyton is still Brooke's best friend, but that doesn't mean Haley isn't.

Offline Callum.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »
Haley didn't say they did bond, she said she saw Brooke had a big heart. "IT WAS IN THE EYES". It's not about how Brooke acted, but what Haley saw IN her. That's Haley's interpretation and therefore nobody can say its not true or is made up like its fact because Haley is telling you differently.

Offline Charl18

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
I don't think there was anything wrong with her speech. To me...it came across like that night was the first night they really met eachother and did something together, and that SINCE then their friendship developed. I don't think she was trying to tell she cared for Brooke that night in particular...it just set a few events in motion which resulted in them being best friends.

Like Mary, I don't even think that demolished other friendships...ofcourse Peyton is still Brooke's best friend, but that doesn't mean Haley isn't.

I agree with you :).
That's what I thought when she said that speech. I think from season 1 onwards their friendship grew and grew. There were room mates for a lot of S3 haha. They had to be preeetty good friends! I definitely saw that at the beginning of S4. Brooke going with Haley when she found out she was pregnant..? Haha.

Offline Chris

• Senior VIP. 11 years and counting.
    • The Underlined
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
Haley didn't say they did bond, she said she saw Brooke had a big heart. "IT WAS IN THE EYES". It's not about how Brooke acted, but what Haley saw IN her. That's Haley's interpretation and therefore nobody can say its not true or is made up like its fact because Haley is telling you differently.
that's exactly how i see it.

Offline iloveny-x

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:50:58 PM »
The fact that Haley said that she saw Brooke big heart in her eyes is rewriting history, because quite frankly she DID NOT LIKE BROOKE in season 1. She wanted her to GET HIT BY A BUS.

Those of you who thought Brooke showed her heart that night or whatever, at what point do you think she did? I'm genuinely curious to know.

The writers are dumb basically. They could have used anything from season 3 and made everyone happy, but no. They went with this instead.

Offline dreamedinheist88

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
yea BH did not become friends in S1 at all. Remember in like 1x19, Haley didn't even want Brooke to be at her party! She purposefully didn't invite her. And she told Lucas he shouldn't date Brooke. So no, I really don't think Haley saw anything in Brooke in S1 at all. That was just made up for the speech because the writer of that episode didn't bother to remember what really happened back in S1.

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
If Haley had seen something in Brooke's eyes in season 1, she would've made an effort to get to know her better, just like she did with Nathan in the beginning.

But she didn't do it so I'm led to believe the only thing Haley might have seen in Brooke's eyes in S1 were eye boogers.

That's Haley's interpretation and therefore nobody can say its not true or is made up like its fact because Haley is telling you differently.

True but no one's discussing that. We're discussing how dumb the writers were for making her say that when we had nothing to make us believe in what Haley said.

Offline kayleighOTHfan23

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »
When the characters say things that don't always make 100% sense but can be interpreted to mean it in a way that does make sense, that's what I do and if people bring it up on here I just don't get involved because I think what I think and don't bother debating it, and if I think the writers could've done it better I'll think it, but not feel the need to express their stupidity at writing what they did. But I think the only time I've not really been able to do that so well is with the maid of honour speech. It was being discussed in a thread the other week and someone posted a video of it and I just kind of cringed listening to it because it's just completely rewriting history. I kind of get the bits in bold:

...because that's a way of interpreting it to make sense of it, but in this situation I, and many others, can't really do that so well. I kind of pretend that's what she meant to make sense of it, but pretending and interpreting are different and it's annoying to watch that scene because we, as viewers, saw what happened that night and in this scene it's being described totally differently.

Oh, and she didn’t like my name, though, so she decided she was gonna give me a name that, uh, she did like, which ended up being Brooke. And from that moment I knew that I wanted Brooke to be my friend. Not because she was gonna make me popular, and not because boys would start asking me out, but because I got a glimpse of the real Brooke. A girl with the biggest heart that I have ever known. And you know, when you’re in high school, it’s not very easy to let people see who you really are. I could see it though, it was in the eyes. So we became friends, and now she’s my best friend.

This part of the speech... just no, lol. From the moment Brooke named Haley "Brooke" she knew she wanted her to be her friend? I didn't see that at all, but ok, maybe she thought she was funny and that's a good quality in a friend if you want to interpret it that way? Although when you watch the episode and see her apprehension of joining them in the ride back you'd see it doesn't really look like she feels that way. And she says it's because she got a glimpse of the real Brooke... really? Brooke calling her by a name she preferred, which was her own, made her see who she really is? Highly doubt it. Her calling her Brooke showed she had the biggest heart she had ever known? Highly doubt it. She could see it in the eyes? What, exactly? And when? When she was scared she was going to suffocate in the car or when she sarcastically asked Peyton and Haley if they thought they'd be friends tomorrow? Highly doubt it. "So we became friends." Yes, you did, a few months later. Not after that night. The next weekend Brooke was sabotaging her and Nathan's relationship. If they were so intent on saying it had been since S1 they could say she saw the real her when Brooke tried to fix her mistake by fixing them up on a date, but whatevs. They became friends after Peyton and Brooke made up (cause I think the reason Haley didn't invite Brooke to the party was because Peyton was her friend and was going to be there, as well as Lucas, and she wasn't very close with Brooke anyway and inviting her to the party wouldn't have really been a good idea) and helped throw her a wedding reception and threw her a bachelorette party and sleepover. And they became close/best friends in season 3 when Brooke asked Haley to stay with her and they lived together. Not as close as Brooke and Peyton obviously but friendships with different people are obviously different. The speech isn't denying that but the way the speech was written makes it look like after 1x06 they became friends, which they didn't.

Offline justafan

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:16:12 AM »
it wasn't that Haley gave a speech to Brooke at her wedding or that Peyton wasn't even there.  It was the whole idea of Season 8 and 9 pretending Peyton never existed.  Haley didn't like Brooke, she couldn't even stand next to Brooke and not think how cruel of a person she put herself out there to be.  Haley didn't understand why Lucas wanted to be with Brooke at first.  So for the speech to be all about them being friends from the very beginning and everyone knows that is not the case.  So that's what I was upset about.