Author Topic: 8x11 (greatest OTH episode ever)  (Read 5262 times)

TheUndertaker

8x11 (greatest OTH episode ever)
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
Hey everyone,

Watching season 8 right now and just finished 8x11 and boy that was one amazing episode to imo a GREAT season, certainly better than season 6 and 7. I would personalty give it the greatest episode of One Tree Hill and one of the best episodes of any television show in the year of 2011.

The Directing by OTH creator Mark Schwahn was flawless. It flowed so perfect between the epic tragedy on the bridge with Brooke/Julian and the Horror thriller like movie showdown between Quinn/Katie. Not a big cast which I really liked, it focused on the main characters like Brooke, Julian and Quinn. No pointless secondary characters hogging screentime like they always do. This episode proved you don't need Nathan and Haley to make a great episode.

Mark and crew was snubbed of an emmy for this episode for at least best directing and overall show at the emmys but again when you have shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter getting nominated, kind of hard to compete with that but they should have at least been nominated. They were snubbed of an emmy as well for 3x16 the school shooting episode which is the second best. It is ashame that 8x11 was completely ignored and after Mark and cast put so much hard work into this episode.

Offline Bugger

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
Re: 8x11 (greatest OTH episode ever)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
I agree that 8x11 was probably the best episode of the series, even though the Quinn/Katie thing was way over the top for my taste. Katie was good,. Quinn? Not so much.

While I don't really agree that it was worthy of an Emmy, it's One Tree Hill after all, I did think it was a lot better then 3x16, because that episode was just...blah. Certain things were good, but a few lines here and there kind of ruined it for me.

Offline Milka

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
One tree hill and Emmy  :laugh:
8x11 greatest episode  :laugh:

God, you`re funny
I have nothing else to say

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »

For sure. 8x11 was just the bestestestestest episode of the entire show. In fact, I think it was so wonderfully written and acted that it must certainly be on the top 5 of greatest episodes ever made on television. Forget about the classics like the X-files or Friends or Mad Men... This episode tops all of that. Austin's acting was just... DeNiro would be jealous. James Cameron and Steven Spielberg have been following Austin ever since because of the great acting skills he showed this episode actually. The way he portrayed his emotions and the fear he conveyed to Julian over the possibility of losing Brooke... I think it was reported Stallone cried for days because of the look in Austin's eyes. And still today The Rock cries whenever he hears "I'm your storm".

And let's not talk about the way the entire episode was written and how everything was perfectly executed... I don't think this episode deserved an Emmy. I think this episode deserved a whole new cerimony dedicated just to itself. An Emmy isn't enough to 8x11 and the world certainly isn't big enough for the greatness of 8x11. I'm sure the Mayans knew the CW would repeat 8x11 on December 21st and that's why they said the world would end that day: because we'll be smashed by its epicness.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
I liked 8x11 and considered it one of the best episodes S8 had...but best episode of the entire show? Worth an emmy? Even the best OTH episode doesn't deserve a nomination imo.

Offline gophergirl21

• There Is No Finish Line
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:08:37 PM »
John that gif perfectly sums up my thoughts when reading the OP. I thought the episode sucked. It was horrible IMO and I laugh/cringe at the supposed dramatic moments.
Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Perform in the present.

Offline BiggestSophiaBushFan

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • B r o o k e <3
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
I liked 8x11 pretty much, IMO it isn't the best one of the entire show. I loved Sophia's acting :D

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
I loved Sophia's acting :D

+1. Her acting was definately great!

Plus...imo..I don't even know who said it, but I don't find it ''odd'' or something that Brooke told Julian to save Jamie first. It's very easy for us...viewers..to say what we would have done in a situation like that. And in their eyes...they were dieing. Julian & Brooke love(d) eachother. So it's easy to say that ''everyone'' would save the kid first. But my guess is...MANY people in the same situation wouldn't. They would save their lover/husband/wife at first....truth is noone of us would know how we'd react in that situation.

Offline gap

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
i sincerely hope you're joking. it was good episode, but certainly not a GREAT episode. one of the better episodes of s8? defiantly. best episode of the entire SERIES? not even close.

Offline EveBlueGirly

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
8x11 is actually one of my LEAST FAVORITE episodes of the series.  I can't think of one thing I liked about it. 

Offline John

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
8x11 is actually one of my LEAST FAVORITE episodes of the series.  I can't think of one thing I liked about it.

Haley's pout when she says "I'm sorry"? Because that was adorable.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
Well, that may be true...but Julian NEVER even registered in his mind that Jamie was in the car and he should save him first.  He's just a child.  And, IMO, any moron would first think of a child.  I would.

He was in the car with the woman he love(d), and she was close to death. Ofcourse it's selfish and stupid that he didn't seem to realise Jamie was still in the car, but imo it's not weird that his attention went to Brooke at first. And I guess he did realise Jamie was in the car but had a tough time letting Brooke go.

And noone of us knows what they'd do in a situation like that when the adrenaline goes throught your body and stuff. Right now...sitting behind my computer in a hot living room I'd also answer with : 'I'd save the kid ', but truth is you don't know, nor do I, how we would respond to an accident like that.

Offline Krystal

• IntheMoon
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • long live. ♫
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
One Tree Hill winning/being nominated for any kind of award? Not sure if trolling.

I liked the episode, but 3x16 is still the best OTH episode imo. 8x11 was one of the better episodes of S8 which wasn't a great season overall, but it's hardly award-winning. The bridge bit where the car fell in looked so set up compared to the one in 3x22, so no I don't think the directing was all that great. And the bit where Katie hit the door I burst out laughing (I did the same thing when Rob hit it in 7x22) because she should've fallen back.

There is only One T r e e Hill.

Offline Craigster

• I'm a VIP!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
I agree that 8x11 was probably the best episode of the series, even though the Quinn/Katie thing was way over the top for my taste. Katie was good,. Quinn? Not so much.

While I don't really agree that it was worthy of an Emmy, it's One Tree Hill after all, I did think it was a lot better then 3x16, because that episode was just...blah. Certain things were good, but a few lines here and there kind of ruined it for me.

Wow, seriously?

Offline Callum.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »
I loved 8x11. One of my favourite episodes, and my favourite in S8. Not better than 3.16 though.

As for Julian's actions - I couldn't possibly judge him. I have NO idea how I would react in that situation. I like to think i know how I would: child first, Brooke next. But thankfully I've never been in such a position.