Author Topic: Nathan&Haley- Something I've noticed  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Liz

• Forums Manager
  • Posting 24/7
  • SophiaJamesScott
Re: Nathan&Haley- Something I've noticed
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
Yeah, Nathan's definitely not known for his good decision making (such as Dante the season before) why can't he just be honest. Ha.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:56 AM »
His dishonesty is why Haley reacted the way she did. It was an appropriate reaction to the way he had been treating her.

Offline miguelsix

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 12:24:50 AM »
Here's my take on why the double standard exists: yes, both Haley and Nathan made some serious mistakes, but Haley had a LOT farther to fall.

Since day one, Haley has been shown to be responsible, mature, level-headed, etc. She also came across as a bit superior, sanctimonious and holier-than-thou at times. So I believe that a lot of people feel some level of joy in seeing someone who is portrayed as trying to be perfect seriously screw up.

Nathan, by contrast, well we all know where he came from. And he's come a LONG way from there, but he's still going to mess up because he's always going to be fighting against that guy he used to be. And sometimes he's gonna lose and people accept that.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
I personally never saw Haley as superior, sanctimonious or holier than thou. I saw her as a good honest person who told it like she saw. I don't think Haley was someone trying to be perfect. She wasn't perfect and never claimed to be or tried to be. She was herself. She had high expectation of the people around her because she always chose to focus on the good in them and knew even when they fell that they were better than that. She also had no problem acknowledging when she was wrong and doing everything she could to reassure Nathan of her love for him and fight for him. She had flaws and insecurity. The only person that put Haley on a pedestal of perfection was Nathan( and I guess the fans waiting to see her fall).

I think the perfection is a good theme to talk about though because it highlights the difference in Naley and how they saw each other. Haley knew Nathan wasn't perfect but he was perfect for her because of the way he loved her. She didn't need him to be anything other than a loving, honest husband and father. When he stopped being that was when their issues started. Whenever Nathan was honest about his struggle, she stood by him 100% and loved and supported him. Issue usually happened when she was dishonest. The difference with Nathan is that he see's Haley as this angel because in a lot of ways she saved him. Because she was almost always great to him, he built her up in his head as perfect. The more she loved, the closer they got, the higher she went. When she screwed up, she had no choice but to fall hard in his eyes because he forgot that she was just another imperfect human.

Anyways, I think the biggest disservice to this story was that Nathan's assiness was minimized. I mean we saw the criticism Haley received during her own bout of depression. Mark always put more emphasis on how Haley's actions affected Nathan while there was never alot of time devoted to Haley's POV when Nathan screws up.  When Haley was depressed, we got to see Nathan trying to get through to her and support her. While when Nathan was depressed, we only saw her giving him an ultimatum. It just wasn't the same. 

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
I agree with swindellbc. I think the difference of treatment has to do with the fact that 99% of the writers were men and, even if it was unintended (which I fully believe it was), their male perspective got the best of them and that's why Nathan's POV was always shown differently from Haley's. And that's not just with NH, I've noticed it with other characters as well.