Author Topic: Why did he need Brooke's permission? 4.09  (Read 5758 times)

Offline bethy10

• Posting Freak
Re: Why did he need Brooke's permission? 4.09
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
Bugger, we all know you completely love Brooke and will defend her even if she murders someone, but please don't act like Peyton initiated everything while Brooke was just so innocent about everything. Regardless of what Peyton and Brooke did to hurt each other, Brooke was completely wrong in using Peyton's moms as a punchline in a joke to hurt her and there's no justification for that regardless of how pissed Brooke was. Period.

And by the way, Peyton only thanked Lucas for the sex in 401 after Brooke made a comment about Peyton hitting on Lucas.

Peyton confessing her feelings, of course, if going to look selfish to most Brooke/BL fans. At the end of the day, Peyton was 100% honest with her feelings about Lucas (the same can't be said about the library kiss, but that's completely different) and shouldn't be held accountable for Brooke's insecurities. And before people start claiming that LP sneaking around was what caused Brooke's insecurities, I just want to point out that Brooke has ALWAYS been jealous of LP's connection/friendship.

@Sophiaisawesome, I don't think it's fair to blame Rachel for all the things Brooke did in season 4. Yes, Rachel may have came up with the ideas, but Brooke CHOSE to act the way she did and do what she did.

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
Bugger, we all know you completely love Brooke and will defend her even if she murders someone, but please don't act like Peyton initiated everything while Brooke was just so innocent about everything. Regardless of what Peyton and Brooke did to hurt each other, Brooke was completely wrong in using Peyton's moms as a punchline in a joke to hurt her and there's no justification for that regardless of how pissed Brooke was. Period.

And by the way, Peyton only thanked Lucas for the sex in 401 after Brooke made a comment about Peyton hitting on Lucas.

Exactly!! I don't know how anyone can excuse or defend someone who made fun of someones dead mum(s) no matter WHO the person saying it is or WHO the person receiving it is. It is just completely and utterly uncalled for.

I agree with Bugger about how it's hard to feel bad for Peyton.  She always has something going on.  ::)  She was always sad and depressed and bitchy--even for no reasons at all.

Do you really think so? I can understand how you could say she was sad/depressed a lot of the time but I would never say she was sad for no reasons at all. She had a LOT of reasons to be upset. I thought that made what Brooke said even more horrible, because as her best friend she knew exactly what Peyton had gone through and she used that to get at her because she knew how upset and hurt that would make her. Which just made in 10000 times worse IMO. And even if its hard to feel for Peyton.. does that really excuse what Brooke said?

But anyway sorry to get off topic again.. just felt that those comments about Peyton's mums couldn't really be justified, whatever way you look at it.

Back to the OP. I didn't really see this scene as Lucas needing Brooke's permission however I can also see how it could be interpreted in that way. I think Brooke obviously knew there was deep connection between LP and that they were obviously meant to be. So when she asked the line 'So who do you want standing next to you?' she knew exactly what his answer would be and it was just her way of saying 'Go for it!'. Not 'here's my permission'. It was just her way (as people have said) of giving Lucas a nudge in the right direction because she knew they were meant to be.

NickJess

Offline hilarie.love

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
To the OP, yeah, Brooke was definitely very selfish for a large majority of S3 & 4 imo. This kinda falls into that category because really she shouldn't have to give "permission" to anyone to do anything, and that's kinda what it came across in 4.09.

But the purpose was exactly that though. Even though Brooke broke up with Lucas, he still kinda knew I think. At least knew that she still wanted him, but was mad at him, you know? It was almost like the break up was an "I'm going to push you away to see how much you care" thing. Like even though she was the one to break up with him, I think he knew she still cared a lot about the relationship type thing. But when put to the test... he didn't really put that much effort into it obviously, and didn't regret the breakup. & We soon see it's Peyton that his heart wants. And he knew this would hurt Brooke. I've always thought a big part of the reason he decided to be with Brooke again in the first place was to try and erase the things and mistakes he made in S1. And so in this scene, he's going back to Peyton - where it all started. It's what he truly wants and where his heart is, but there was some guilt there because of the past and just EVERYTHING. This scene was needed. It lifted LP's guilt (something that I think held them both back from a lot of things), and showed that Brooke would be okay - which was good for her character.

Despite popular opinion, I think Lucas is a really good guy with a big heart. So when the championship came and he was finally at a point where he could realize and admit it was Peyton that he wanted, there was still Brooke. And both, Lucas and Peyton, needed this. They needed and wanted to know that she would be okay because they both loved her! It was all a part of this process and it was like coming full circle in a way - where Lucas and Peyton could finally just be completely content and with each other after all this time. (:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:46:46 PM by hilarie.love »
"Somebody told me that this is the place where everything's better and everything's safe."

Offline Dagmar

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • Art by Brittany
    • Fanfiction.com
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
Very well said Hilarie.love! I felt that they needed to hear her say this as well, to ease their guilt. To show them that it was OK.

I'm not a huge Lucas fan, but he does have a good heart, I agree. Sometimes he was just too afraid to simply follow his heart, like he was afraid to follow his instinct. Especially when it came to love.
After all, in the beginning with Peyton it wasn't easy. That's a scary thing for a 16 yo. OR any age really.
Brooke was less complicated and I think he really did care about her a lot.
Which is also a reason for him to wait for her to say it was OK. He never wanted to hurt her.

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds"

Offline hilarie.love

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »
Very well said Hilarie.love!

Thank you! Haha (:
"Somebody told me that this is the place where everything's better and everything's safe."

Offline princesssoccer90

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • Lathan Award 2013
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
I'm not a huge Lucas fan, but he does have a good heart, I agree. Sometimes he was just too afraid to simply follow his heart, like he was afraid to follow his instinct. Especially when it came to love.
After all, in the beginning with Peyton it wasn't easy. That's a scary thing for a 16 yo. OR any age really.
Brooke was less complicated and I think he really did care about her a lot.
Which is also a reason for him to wait for her to say it was OK. He never wanted to hurt her.

I agree...Lucas always had a good heart...but was too afraid to follow his heart...because it was complicated with Peyton at first...and he didn't want to hurt Brooke because he cared about her as well!!!

Naley and Leyton-OTH December MOM 2012

Offline BiggestSophiaBushFan

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • B r o o k e <3
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »
Because he felt guilty, because he didn't want to hurt Brooke again.

Offline justafan

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »
I agree...Lucas always had a good heart...but was too afraid to follow his heart...because it was complicated with Peyton at first...and he didn't want to hurt Brooke because he cared about her as well!!!

agreed :)  he didn't want to hurt either girl but he always did and Brooke telling him to go was that she wanted him to be happy and she knew he was happier with Peyton

Offline NiceLegsNiceHands

• If love is an ocean, we're all sinking...
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
I don't think he was asking permission, what I got from that scene was that he was unsure of going to Peyton, because he didn't want to get hurt again and Brooke judged him over, because she knew Peyton/Lucas were in love. Her telling him it was okay, was also to help him alleviate his guilt for hurting her when they dated.
"We're circling each other like Venezuelan flamingoes engaged in a complex mating dance."
-Ed and Carol, destine to be together.