Author Topic: Why did he need Brooke's permission? 4.09  (Read 5759 times)

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
Why did he need Brooke's permission? 4.09
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
At the end of the state championship game, why did Luke hesitate to walk over to Peyton? It seemed like he needed approval from Brooke. But WHY?

SHE'S the one who broke up with him. SHE'S the one who initiated the whole "non exclusive" dating thing in s3.

I don't get why there was any kind of approval needed from her.  I understand that her and Peyton had some issues going on regarding Peyton's confession to her about Lucas, but that was BEFORE she decided to dump him. She could have easily decided to stay with Lucas.

Yeah, Peyton kissed Lucas during the school shooting. But she was about to freaking die! Why did Brooke have to become this selfish, egotistical character? 

Also, I don't recall Brooke ever asking Lucas' permission to sleep with Chris Keller or to hook up with the English teacher in s4. So what the hell is her deal?

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
Re: Why did he need Brooke's permission? 4.09
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
IDK, I guess I kinda just got this vibe from that scene. Like she was giving him the thumbs up.

Brooke was never a selfish character before s4, but the stupid little grudge she had against Peyton for kissing Lucas during the school shooting was just ridiculous. I get that it's high school and that girls usually act this way, but she was just being flat out selfish and disregarding anyone else's feelings but her own.

Her little jokes about Peyton's mom and giving her a "to-go box" since she was "screwing her leftovers" just showed how immature she was being regarding the whole situation espcially since Peyton had just gotten attacked by a psycho. Which...now that i think about it, makes me love the scene betweeen them in 4x15 on the lawn even more.

Offline Andrea

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • Icon- Me
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
I don't really think Brooke was giving permission. She was just giving him a nudge. When she said "who do you want standing next to you?" he looked at Peyton. Brooke knew he wanted to go over to Peyton so she was just telling him to go over to her. I never thought she was giving permission, I guess to me it seemed like she was giving her blessing for him to go talk to her.

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
I guess to me it seemed like she was giving her blessing for him to go talk to her.

Aaaand why would he need her blessing? 
At first it wasn't okay for Lucas to like Peyton and vice versa, but now all of a sudden it is?

I'm just glad that karma finally bit her in the ass after the sex tape leaked.

Offline sophiaisawesome

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »
In s4 Brooke regressed, and it's normal: she lost her so called BFF, dumped her boyfriend, formed a friendship with Rachel.

Brooke hanging out with Rachel was the beginning of the end, Rachel pretty much told her she would become an horrible mother, she set her up with a dude online, she stole Haley's key.

So yeah i know, Brooke slept with the guy on her own, she chetaed on the test, but Rachel triggered all of that, that's why i can't really ship their "friendship" even though they had cute/fun scenes. Meh.

Offline Andrea

• I'm a VIP!
  • Icon- Me
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
Aaaand why would he need her blessing? 

He didn't need it. He wasn't like "Oh hey Brooke, can I go talk to Peyton?" She just gave it to him. He would have gone to talk to her anyway.

Offline sophiaisawesome

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
I get what you're saying completely, but Brooke's not strong enough to stand up for herself?  I mean, just because Rachel triggered it, it was okay for her to act the way she did?  I don't agree with that.  I understand peer pressure, but Brooke knew what she was doing.  She wasn't coerced by anyone.

Oh i never said she didn't know what she was doing, Brooke took her bad turn in s4. period. It needs to happen sometimes, to see characters regressing..to see them bouncing back.

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
In s4 Brooke regressed, and it's normal: she lost her so called BFF, dumped her boyfriend, formed a friendship with Rachel.

SO WHAT? Peyton lost her birth mother, got attacked by a psycho, randomely found her REAL brother and had NO ONE to comfort her through it but Lucas. Call me crazy, but all of this seems a lot more important that losing a boyfriend that she didn't even really care about. And for the most part it was Brooke's own fault for losing Peyton as a BFF. Peyton was being honest and Brooke just took it the wrong way, flipped out, and immediately stopped communicating with her other than the few times she blatantly insulted her.

Offline Bugger

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
Brooke was fierce in season 4. I loved her bitchiness. But yeah, she did some things she probably regrets. I may be the only one that wasn't bothered by the dead mom jokes. It's not like Peyton had been all that nice to her. Was is a low blow? Sure, but eh. I'm a biased Brooke fan though.

As for Lucas needing her permission...guess we saw that scene differently.

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
Brooke was fierce in season 4. I loved her bitchiness. But yeah, she did some things she probably regrets. I may be the only one that wasn't bothered by the dead mom jokes. It's not like Peyton had been all that nice to her. Was is a low blow? Sure, but eh. I'm a biased Brooke fan though.

As for Lucas needing her permission...guess we saw that scene differently.

Okay, how the hell can anyone NOT be bothered by the dead mom jokes? That's just uncalled for. How would you feel if someone ever said that about your mom (God forbid). It's not mean, it's flat out evil. For me, that just really showcased the fact that Brooke had no awareness for other ppl's feelings. There are just things that you DO NOT joke about. There's a limit. And Brooke clearly crossed it.

Offline Bugger

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
Peyton always had something going on, so after a while, it was hard to feel anything for her character, so while the comments weren't nice, I couldn't feel bad for her. Brooke was mad and lashing out. If Peyton knew Brooke at all, she'd know that Brooke said it to hurt her, because Peyton had hurt her as well, but I don't for a second believe that Brooke actually meant what she said. And I don't think Peyton thought she meant it either, because if she had, she'd never gone back to being friends with Brooke. So yes, it was not a nice thing to say, but I didn't feel bad for Peyton.

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »
Bugger, can you please explain to me when Peyton was ever not nice to Brooke? Yeah, she had a thing for her boyfriend at the time, but was completely honest about it. She didn't go behind her back again like she did in s1. She made a mistake once and learned from it. That shows true character regression.

Offline Andrea

• I'm a VIP!
  • Icon- Me
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
Ugh this is turning into a Peyton vs. Brooke war again. Let's not stray away from what the topic is about...

Offline oth-sam09

• Posting 24/7
  • <3
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »
Ugh this is turning into a Peyton vs. Brooke war again. Let's not stray away from what the topic is about...

lol, I know. I'll take part blame for it.

but back to the OP, I guess we all really did view that scene differently...

That's the beauty of tv/film. It's all open to interpretation...

I'm glad we've got this hefty discussion going, and even though I disagree with many of you, I still respect your POV's. I guess our opinions sometimes reflect our favoritism for characters which make us seem a little biased. But that's okay. It's just a tv show.

Offline Bugger

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
Bugger, can you please explain to me when Peyton was ever not nice to Brooke? Yeah, she had a thing for her boyfriend at the time, but was completely honest about it. She didn't go behind her back again like she did in s1. She made a mistake once and learned from it. That shows true character regression.

So in 4x01 when Brooke came to talk to Lucas and Peyton thanked him for the sex, she was being nice? He was still her boyfriend at that time. And even before that, twisting Brooke's words around, making it seem like Brooke had claimed she didn't miss him. Acting like a bitch at the wedding and well after that. Sure, it may not warrant dead mom jokes, but it's not like Peyton was Miss Innocent. And about her being honest...I see her confessing as selfish. She knew very well that Brooke wouldn't be okay with it. What did she expect? For Brooke to say "okay, thanks for telling me, wanna go shopping?". She should have waited until BL fell apart on it's own. Lucas showed no romantic feelings towards her then, so she should have kept that bit of info to herself. (Even though I'm glad she didn't since Brooke ended up dumping the loser, which she probably would have done sooner or later anyways).

But, you may think she was innocent and was being nice to Brooke all along. Good for you. But I can't hold something like that against Brooke. She was mad and acted out, that's all imo. Peyton forgave her, like Brooke forgave Peyton for all the mess that had come between them.