Author Topic: Deb in season 1  (Read 3844 times)

sofetch25

Deb in season 1
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:00:50 AM »
I just started rewatching the series from the beginning and noticed how different Deb was as a character personality wise. She seems so tough and ready to stand up to Dan and just driven career wise. In later season especially s4 and up it seems that the writers dumbed her down and she kind of became the corky pill addicted nanny Deb that was just used for comic relief. I think this change began in s3 (the taser in the bed scene lol) but it was more so s4 and onward. I like both versions of Deb but I don't think she should have been dumbed down. What do you guys think?

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
Re: Deb in season 1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
I think life and Dan just beat her down. I didn't think she was dumbed down though. I think she realized too late in season one that he son needed her so she lost him. And honestly just watching Dan could drive one to drink, I can't imagine being married to him. she was stuck and he was a monster. I really believe that he brought out the worst in the people around him, he was the reason that Nathan was so angry and mean season one and I believe he broke deb down too.

Offline Chris

• Senior VIP. 11 years and counting.
    • The Underlined
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:53:57 PM »
I agree. A lot of her conflict was with Dan, both inner and outer. Remember, he drove her to attempted murder.

Offline TorturedFate

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • On the count of two...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »
I really didn't care for what they did to Debs character from s4-s6.

In s1-3 she was this no tough, sort of independant woman, who was very likable and although she made some pretty horrible mistakes, she realized them and was trying to fix them.
s4 wasn't so bad... She was a little loony, but that was from the pills etc... But some of the crap they had her do (Trying to get Haley to go to the shooting range with her, etc...) was completely OOC. And I don't even want to start with s5-s6. They turned her into this bimbo, who pretty much just irritated the hell out of me.

it's a beautiful lie, it's a perfect denial, such a beautiful lie to believe in.

Offline roronathanoth

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
Great actress ;)
"You know, itís been said that we just donít recognize the significant moments of our lives while theyíre happening." Nathan Scott

Offline Jayy008

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
I loved Deb through the series, and Barbara played the character fantastically.

I don't even think it started as late as season 3 or 4. In season 2 the character started changing.

Season one was the best for her. Her strong morals and the striking of a friendship with Karen made her a great character and the opposite of Dan.

Offline Lulu-144

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
I totally agree, Deb was a drug addict in S4.
n a t h a n + h a l e y

Offline justafan

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »
I think life and Dan just beat her down. I didn't think she was dumbed down though. I think she realized too late in season one that he son needed her so she lost him. And honestly just watching Dan could drive one to drink, I can't imagine being married to him. she was stuck and he was a monster. I really believe that he brought out the worst in the people around him, he was the reason that Nathan was so angry and mean season one and I believe he broke deb down too.

I agree. I always got the idea that Deb was a very strong woman when she met Dan.  And through the years of his treatment towards her and to Nathan, it did break her down and she became weak and defenseless.  It was until Nathan emancipated himself that Deb really didn't have any reason to be married to Dan anymore and she fought back

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »
I agree. I always got the idea that Deb was a very strong woman when she met Dan.  And through the years of his treatment towards her and to Nathan, it did break her down and she became weak and defenseless.  It was until Nathan emancipated himself that Deb really didn't have any reason to be married to Dan anymore and she fought back

He was so manipulative she probably felt like she had no way out.

Offline justafan

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
He was so manipulative she probably felt like she had no way out.

I feel like having Nathan in the house gave Deb a reason to fight and to be strong.  But when Nathan and Haley eventually got back together and he was out of the house...Deb had no reason to fight nor did she have the courage when it was just her to fight for. With a husband like Dan, I'm surprised she came back in the first season

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »
I feel like having Nathan in the house gave Deb a reason to fight and to be strong.  But when Nathan and Haley eventually got back together and he was out of the house...Deb had no reason to fight nor did she have the courage when it was just her to fight for. With a husband like Dan, I'm surprised she came back in the first season

I think it was more of Nathan was her only reason for staying with Dan and she ultimately lost him because she was never strong enough to fight for them. And when all she was left with was Dan, she had a breakdown.

Offline justafan

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 03:08:26 AM »
Deb had no one else to fight for when Nathan left.  I always thought Deb was a strong woman all along and would fight for her own rights and not just for her child

Offline Vlad

• I'm a VIP!
  • Mr X
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
Seems like they just made her into a cartoon character as the seasons passed  with the drug habit and murder.

In season one she was portrait as a smart women, with a good career that was focused on doing good for other people.Really does not seem like the type that would turn to drugs.

[

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »
Seems like they just made her into a cartoon character as the seasons passed  with the drug habit and murder.

In season one she was portrait as a smart women, with a good career that was focused on doing good for other people.Really does not seem like the type that would turn to drugs.

I don't really agree with that. There isn't a specific kind of group who, under certain circumstances, consider turning to drugs. It can happen to anyone.

Offline HaleyScott23

• I'm a VIP!
  • icon: ?
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
I don't really agree with that. There isn't a specific kind of group who, under certain circumstances, consider turning to drugs. It can happen to anyone.

I agree. Unfortunately, anyone can jump into that world under certain circumstances. Never say never, I guess.