Author Topic: Friendships being "out of the blue."  (Read 4504 times)

hoops

Friendships being "out of the blue."
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
I keep seeing this phrase "out of the blue" at every OTH board I go to.

Do friendships and relationships really have to have a build up for it to make sense?

Take for example, one of my friendships irl...it was the definition of random this past year and it's been one of the best friendships I've had, doesn't make it less worthy of a friendship build I've had since I was three.

I really don't think Baley was out of the blue though, nor was the friendship just about Brooke.

I think people are forgetting how much Brooke was there for Haley in the past seasons.

To me, the best kinds of friendships are those who you haven't seen in a long time and can still act like best friends even with time passing.

Offline Elilo

Re: Friendships being "out of the blue."
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
I don't think that friendships need a build up either, I usually don't sit there thinking if I should be friends with that girl or not. that even sounds weird to me :o (but I think relationships are different stories)

as for BH friendship; I have always felt like Haley has Nathan to go to when she has problems while Brooke really didn't have anyone in her life, her mom wasn't really a Mother, Peyton most of the time needed help herself or whatsoever, Lucas ... well let's not get into that at all; so technically Haley was the only one Brooke had (until mid season 7)
BUT to be fair Brooke really was there for Haley and even Nathan in season 3-4 first with the apartment then the wedding and then the pregnancy, though it wouldn't hurt if BH had a conversation about Lydia's sickness and during Haley's depression.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:24:50 PM by Elilo »
'He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream, and he sometimes wondered whose it was, and whether they were enjoying it.'

hoops

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »
I agree with everything you said Elilo, especially when Brooke doesn't have as many people as the others have to turn to.  If one thinks about it, even the Peyton and Brooke friendship started off as somewhat random. In fact, all friendships start off as random to me.

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
I agree. I liked that the BH friendship started on our screen. With some of the others, we were told they were best friends, but sometimes I couldn't help but theink, why are they still bffs?

Earlier in the friendhsip, Brooke did ALOT for Haley and it meant alot to Haley. That is why, whenever Brooke needs her, Haley is there. But like someone said, Haley turns to Nathan, that is why it sometimes seems one-sided, but I don't think it is. If Haley needed her, she'd be there. I like that that friendship was genuine and that they looked out for eachother. I loved that there was no backstabbing.

To me they haven't built up BH more recently, it was always there. Its just no longer under the shadow of Leyton, BP and LH. BH have been close friends for a long time.

Mickelmouse99

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
i would also argue the fact that it seemed like Brooke was closer with Haley than Peyton ever since the third season. the only time I've really thought Brooke/Peyton was really close after that was the fifth/sixth seasons.   I would definitely argue that throughout seasons three and four Brooke and Haley were hands down the closest friendship on the show.

hoops

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
ITA with u all.  Since Haley came back from tour and Peyton thought she could judge Haley for leaving even though it was none of Peyton's business in the first place, Brooke has been there for Haley.  Just like it was Brooke who was there for Lydia's funeral to comfort Haley and not Peyton.

The Baley friendship was not contrived, not out of the blue.  It has always been there.

When they needed each other the most, Baley was there for each other, especially at the hardest times when Peyton was the one who caused pain for them.

Offline othlove224

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • credit- sig- Pauline
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
I don't think they have to be built up either
I mean I have made friends and become super close to them within a week..
and honestly it would just take up screentime..
Brooke and Haley's friendship is not "out of the blue" they have been friends since s1, they lived together!!

Offline Jessica01

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »
Just like it was Brooke who was there for Lydia's funeral to comfort Haley and not Peyton.
Hold on, Brooke comforted Haley? All I remember was her with Julian in the funeral shot and then after that with Julian in bed having sex. But maybe I forgot something...when did we see on screen Brooke comforting Haley about Lydia?

According to Mark LP were at the funeral...so for all we know Peyton DID comfort Haley, but off screen...just like we didn't see Brooke comfort Haley on screen, so like Peyton it was probably off screen. Because I sure as hell don't recall Brooke comforting Haley on screen about Lydia...even after excpet for like one line about it in the following ep...instead all I recall is Brooke during the time Lydia was on and after she died still talking about herself.
icon: docent12

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »
^^^
I believe she was there for Haley. They didn't show it onscreen specifically, but they showed her going over to the Naley house and checking on all of them. She was making sure they were all ok and she was aware of Haley's condition. I remember her talking to Nathan about it.

When did Mark say LP were at the funeral? I missed that because they certainly were not there.

Offline sophiaisawesome

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »
Mark said Lucas was there. He never mentionned Peyton.

And people keep saying the BH friendship was forced in s3. That makes me laugh honestly, mainly because they didn't become bff right away, in s1 they weren't really friends, in s2 they became friends through Peyton, in s3 they learned to know each other. If anything it's the friendship that got the most buildup.

Offline Agnes

• docent12
  • I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
Mark said Lucas was there. He never mentionned Peyton.

When did Mark said it?

Can you hear my song now, Mr. Turner?

Offline swindellbc

• NH and BL/BJ fan
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
If anything it's the friendship that got the most buildup.

I agree. To this day, I never understood how the BP friendship started or how it lasted as long as it did. It was definately one of those, its like that because the writers say so as opposed to the writers showing us, like BH!

Offline Jessica01

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
The poster said she was comforting Haley for the funeral and Peyton wasn't. I merely pointed out that we didn't see that on screen, just like we didn't see Peyton on screen so how can we compare P and B to that? Neither hugged haley about Lydia dying on screen, neither had a full on discussion comforting Haley just about that on screen.
believe she was there for Haley. They didn't show it onscreen specifically, but they showed her going over to the Naley house and checking on all of them. She was making sure they were all ok and she was aware of Haley's condition. I remember her talking to Nathan about it.

Yes Brooke went to Naley's house, but that scene was written more as Brooke making sure Nathan was handling it all ok more then just comforting Haley and being there for Haley. This is about BH scenes, and I do not recall a significant scene where BH JUST talked about Lydia or Haley's depression. Victorial talked to Haley, Brooke went to see Nathan...aside from a quick hug in 7.22 and that one line in 7.19 (and then the convo turned to about Brooke as well) there was nothing really else.

I'm not just making this up, it's fact, when it came to Lydia dying and Haley's depression, the writers really didn't give us BH scenes that were centered mostly or all on that. They just didn't.

basically, over all the seasons I can recall lots of scenes where Haley spent whole chunks of the ep supporting Brooke...heck we just got one, however not one single episode lately or even ever I can think about where ALL Brooke did was be there for Haley...and even in a scene if she was, 99% of the time, Brooke still manages to discuss her problems too and/or has other things going on in the episode.

icon: docent12

hoops

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 11:08:49 PM »
Like you said, they at least showed Brooke making sure Nathan was taking care of Haley...but where was Peyton in all of this?  Peyton wasn't even shown checking in or talking about the funeral.

Offline Krystal

• IntheMoon
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • long live. ♫
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
I don't mind if friendships have build up. Like I love the Nathan/Clay and Quinn/Alex friendships, even if we didn't see the build up to either of them since there was a time jump between season 6 and 7 and the Quinn/Alex friendship is recent. I remember when I first started school when I was like 5, and I became best friends with a girl on the first day and we were really good friends for years. Sure it's different when you're little, but sometimes people just connect really easily so I don't think it's unrealistic.

I do love Brooke/Haley too and their build up though, and I think they have had build up. They didn't always see eye to eye. I think it just seems 'random' to some people because there's been more focus on their friendship since Peyton is no longer around, but it's always been there.

There is only One T r e e Hill.