Author Topic: Exactly what "changed?"  (Read 15734 times)

Offline Jerret

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • meow
Exactly what "changed?"
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
I was just recently reading through some topics about Season 4, and I noticed quite a few fans have said things such as "S4 felt disjointed from the first 3 seasons", "S4 was the start of the downward spiral of OTH", "S4 was the beginning of the end"...and I just was curious as to why some felt this way and what all of your personal opinions on S4 are?

For me it's my 2nd favorite season right next to season two. I felt the storylines were very strong, flowed well together, PD was the best physco storyline done on the show, graduation, proms, state championship...it was all great. Like all the seasons there's a few things lacking of course, but I never could wrap my head around how some label it with seasons 5 and 6. :( But everyone has their own opinions I guess.

Offline morethananyone

• Posting 24/7
  • Icon: LJ
Re: Exactly what "changed?"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
It just felt extremely different from seasons 1-3, it's hard to put into words exactly why.  Watching the episodes just felt different lol.

First of all, if you compare 3x22 to 4x01 they don't seem like the same day at all to me, it feels like there's months in between them.  Second, season 4 is the season that OTH got a lot more soap opera-ey.

I wouldn't necessarily put season 4 with 5 and 6, but I think 4 and 5 are around the same level.  6 is all on it's own WAAAY at the bottom haha.
Hottest bitch in heels right here.

Offline othlove224

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • credit- sig- Pauline
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
I know I haven't understand that, because s4 is one of my favs! IMO, so I also wanna hear other peoples opinions :)

sweetmia151

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
I loved s4
Apart fron the BL breakup i liked almost all the storylines

brattynemz

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:28:01 AM »
I don't necessarily hate s4 but for the HS years it's my least fave season because I barely remember anything from it. I know the SL - Daunte, Derek, LP, NH+J, BP fighting, BR.. But Idk the quotes, the songs, how a character looked like in a particular scene, etc.. I remember cringing to the thought of Brooke being goth, like srsly? Brooke, a goth? I also felt like watching a spoofed horror movie when I saw BP fight off Derek. =|

It just felt extremely different from seasons 1-3, it's hard to put into words exactly why.  Watching the episodes just felt different lol.

First of all, if you compare 3x22 to 4x01 they don't seem like the same day at all to me, it feels like there's months in between them.  Second, season 4 is the season that OTH got a lot more soap opera-ey.

LOL I watched 4x01 right after I watched 3x22 and I kinda got confused, I felt like I missed something!

Offline Shannonef13

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • Icon: LJ/FF.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »
I thought S4 was just awful. There are only 3-4 episodes that I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't even really know why I didn't like it, but there's something that was off to me. I agree with morethananyone (Rebecca, I think?) that it was way too dramatic. Psycho Derek parts 1 and 2 were absolutely ridiculous. Especially the second time around. Didn't care for the Daunte thing, hated the teacher, Brooke annoyed me, LP were nauseating, NH were alright, but I wasn't a big fan of their storylines either.

I didn't think it was something different or anything, though. It just wasn't to my liking at all.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:35:44 AM by Shannonef13 »
Don't forget to be great. Because you are. - Mark Schwahn

Offline tahajah

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • peyton.lp.skills.bp♥
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:41:36 AM »
season 4 honestly is not a different season from the "original OTH" pact of season 1, 2 and 3.
i felt that season 4 was the most intriguing season, it was sort of refreshing than the first three seasons, it had the same feel of OTH, but with a slight twist.

i personally don't like season 2, besides the finale. but thats just me i guess.

*;-true love never looked so concrete!

Offline brokenmixtape2

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:48:21 AM »
I think season 4 had the same feel as seasons 1 and 3, it was the same OTH. I loved season 4, it was amazing and interesting.
To me season 2 is the worst season since it made no sense if you had seen season 1, I've forgotten pretty much everything that happened in season 2, it was just boring. That season did not have the same OTH feel to it to me.
Walking the streets with you and your worn out jeans
I can't help thinking this is how it ought to be

Offline butterflies21

• Posting Freak
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »
I agree with rebecca...I can't even explain why S4 was so different sand horrible and weird to me. Everything was different to me. It just felt darker, not like the SL's were darker, but the actual like lighting of the show was darker, and it was depressing tbqh haha! Ugh it depresses me just thinking about S4.

And I also agree wit the soap opera thing...it's like S4 was just this series of shocking moments and SL's, which never got any real development or focus on the CHARACTERS, which is what I loved so much about S1-S3/ S1-S3 was about the individual characters, and their drama was sometimes over the top, but mostly it was focused on their feelings and how the each dealt with everything. S4 was like 'oh, lets have a psycho attack 5 billion times...then someone can get run over...o and a heart attack! that'd be dramatic!' I just felt like they were trying soooo hard to be all 'shocking', but lost the root of OTH, which is the characters themselves, and the REALISTIC reactions and feelings they ave about what they're going through. We never really got back to having realistic, character-based drama after S4. Or at least it wasn't anywhere near as good as it was the first 3 seasons.

Also all the characters were horribly OOC, IMO. Nathan was a pod...he did like a complete 180 from how he was in S3. Brooke, well it's debateable if she changed, or if she was just reverting back to form, either way she was completely different than she had been in S2 and S3. Haley was just a baby-carrier this whole season, she had no SL except forgiving nathan alot and being his baby's mama. Lucas...who knows what the hell he's gonna do/feel on a day-to-day basis, so I guess he was in character, and Peyton was annoyingly desperate/clingy/cheesy.

So yea, I definitely feel like a huge line should be drawn between S1-3 and S4. I didn't enjoy S4 at all. There are a few Naley clips I watch from this season, but other than that...just no.

Offline Agnes

• docent12
  • I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »
For me season 4 was still a classic OTH, just like season 1-3. It was definitaly closer to them than to seasons 5-6 IMO.

Can you hear my song now, Mr. Turner?

Offline ashleym

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »
Season 4 is my second favourite also, after season 1  (can't understand how someone could like season 2 the best, it's down there with 6).

I think when people say it "changed," they mean to say "Brooke and Lucas don't like each other anymore."    Apparently, there are many people here who decide what seasons/episodes they like based on these "ships" (BL tends to predominate). Most of the season 4 haters (NOT ALL OF THEM) are BL lovers.

Offline butterflies21

• Posting Freak
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:35:07 PM »
^ well the opposite can be said as well. I've noticed that almost all people who actually like S4 are Leyton fans. I don't like either couple, so I can honestly say I just thought it sucked.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:38:19 PM by butterflies21 »

Offline ashleym

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »
I am not a "shipper" and I loved season 4. Of course there were things I hated about it (like there are in every season). For example, I hated the whole Dan-discovery storyline with Abby, and I thought Haley's pregnancy was dealt with very poorly. But the season was just really exciting, and 4.09 was my favourite episode of all time (loved the whole radio format, brilliant!). Plus, I got to fall in love with dan again. He's my weakness. Lucas was BARF the whole season, but that's how I feel about him for all the seasons (except 1)

Offline morethananyone

• Posting 24/7
  • Icon: LJ
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »
If you generalize season 4 like that you do it for season 2 as well.  No one can deny that the majority of the people who don't like season 2 are LPers, and the majority who don't like season 4 are BLers.  It's not like it doesn't make sense, but to try and make it look like only one ship watches for the couple is stupid IMO, it's the same situation for both those seasons.
Hottest bitch in heels right here.

Offline ashleym

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »
Fine, I'll make sure to "balance it" for you: anyone who liked season 6 was a deluded LP fan. Happy?

I disagree about season 2 though. I don't think most people who didn't like it were LP fans. I think they didn't like it because it sucked. Felix and Anna, nasty. Ugly hair. Stupid storylines.