Author Topic: Why was Chad's season6 epi so poorly received?...  (Read 18719 times)

Offline butterflies21

• Posting Freak
Re: Why was Chad's season6 epi so poorly received?...
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »
any episode where joy sings is *awesome*,and the naley was super cute, but god...other than that it was soooo cheesy(which i know that's what they were going for but...?!?!). i would describe it as painful lol.

and it was hilarious that dan kissed haley, cause of that iinterview mark did once where he was like...fascinated by the idea of dan/haley...he probs paid chad to write that one in lol!

Offline morethananyone

• Posting 24/7
  • Icon: LJ
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »
IMO it was a boring episode that was obviously written by a novice writer and shouldn't have taken away from an episode that could have been far more relevant to the storyline.  AU episodes tend to not do well as it is, but I found 4x10 and the one in season 2 much easier to tolerate then this one.  It also didn't help that the episode that aired the week before was also a weak one.

People can justify the low ratings all they want by saying the fanbase as a whole doesn't understand the "cheesiness" of the old movies, but maybe that's the point.  There's a reason we watch OTH every week and not Casablanca.  If I wanted to watch a movie from the 40's I'd do so, I wouldn't watch OTH for it.

Also, I think giving Chad the opportunity to write (and direct, Joy too) was an attempt to get him to stay on for another season, which obviously failed anyways.
Hottest bitch in heels right here.

Offline LPLover623

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • Icon/Sig: Agnes!
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »
There's a reason we watch OTH every week and not Casablanca. 

LMAO :D

"over-possessive best friends, with weird lesbian energy...and Haley"
Brooke♥Peyton

Offline Destined4Greatness

• All you need is one.
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
well I liked the episode..

l_e_x_y16

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 07:18:16 AM »
I liked most of it, for the era he was trying to portray he did it well, but it was weird to see that sort of thing on OTH so I get why most people didn't like it.

But I'm an LPer, so of course I was going to enjoy it.

eunn

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »
I totally disagree, Chad did not portray the era well.  The bad writing re: "pretty girl" aside, the part of Dan and Haley was just creepy   

Offline butterflies21

• Posting Freak
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
so i was rewatching S6 and i watched this epi again and i just have to say...i LOVE old movies like casablanca and this...was just NOT anything near the level of casablance, or any of the classic movies made in that era. just...no, chad...i applaud his efforts, but like i said before, joy's singing is the only thing that saved it.

Sprinkles333

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »
I want to change what I said...

People hate Chad so clearly everything he touches is the worst. That's why.

I would like the see members on here write an epi and THEN bash Chads 'writing' skills.

Offline butterflies21

• Posting Freak
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 02:45:49 AM »
...it's not just chad. people bash all the writers writing skills all the time(especially mark). it doesn't matter to me WHO wrote this episode, it's still cheesy and nowhere near the classic casablanca feel people were comparing it to. has nothing to do with chad.

Offline Agnes

• docent12
  • I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »

I would like the see members on here write an epi and THEN bash Chads 'writing' skills.

I don't think it's true. I mean the episode Chad has directed (6x14) had many positive reviews and people generally liked it. I personally thought he did a great job as a director (minus the slow motions moments) but not so much as a writer and that's it, it has nothing to do with liking Chad or not :)

Can you hear my song now, Mr. Turner?

Offline morethananyone

• Posting 24/7
  • Icon: LJ
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »

If any of the cast had written the episode I would have said the exact same thing.  None of them are experienced enough to write an episode, Chad's just the one that did it.  It was a poorly written episode IMO and it has nothing to do with the fact that Chad wrote it, I just felt it was weak.

We could all say the same thing about people who liked the episode.  Chad fans liked the episode simply because Chad wrote it.  Is that fair?  No, is that right?  Well probably for some people, but it really dumbs down the thoughts of Chad fans, doesn't it?

I don't think anyone on here is saying they could write a good episode, but we aren't the ones writing an episode for a primetime TV show.  Just because you can't do something doesn't mean you can't have an opinion when others do it.  If Chad didn't want his work to be criticized he shouldn't have released it to the public.  Mark's writing is criticized all the time, is that okay cause he's a professional?  Chad doesn't get a free pass.
Hottest bitch in heels right here.

Offline vanessa.k

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • Icon: Mikaela
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2009, 07:49:21 AM »
I can only think of one thing. The episode sucked, plain and simple. I'm not a fan of creepy AU episodes which don't really make much sense to me, because the wardrobe was weird, the story was weird, and the whole episode was weird in general. I'm not huge on Chad or anything, but believe me, I'm not crapping the episode just to make Chad look bad. That would be low, and if I really wanted to bash him so bad, I could think of other things to say. But like I said, the episode was just bad in my honest opinion.

Of course, I am not omitting the fact that SOME people who hate Chad would diss the episode for the sake of making him look bad, but there are a lot of other people who generally just hated the episode because it was bad.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:57:37 AM by vanessa.k »

Offline LPLover623

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • Icon/Sig: Agnes!
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »
I re-watched it and reeally liked it.  i dunno maybe its better the second time around. i meean i applaud chad for taking such a mahoosive step and risking it but i actually enjoyed it. the naley stuff was a little dull and peyton spinning on the bridge was a bit cheesy but the rest was good. i loooved julian in this episode, brooke was pretty good and lucas looked hawtt. peyton and haley really suited the whole 1940s thing and i still balled at the end with peyton so it cant have been that bad if it got an emotional reaction out of me. well people can say their opinion but i really enjoy it. Kudos to Chad :)

"over-possessive best friends, with weird lesbian energy...and Haley"
Brooke♥Peyton

Offline Letthegoodtimesroll

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • B-Rok<3
    • http://twitter.com/KWilly714
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
I think it was because it was just irrelevant really. I actually turned the epsiode off because it got annoying how chad would have a thick southern accent then no southern accent. It was just weird all together.

Nate&Serena<3

Offline Bec09

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »

Sad but so true.

I think it's completely rash of people on here to say how Chad's a crappy writer and blah blah. It was the first time he ever wrote anything before and he totally took this huge chance with this episode, leave the guy alone.

The epi was better than half of the crap Mark and the other "professional" writers have written. I think we all can remember the dog eating Dan's heart. lmao

I guess it just depends. Some people love the episode and some people despise it. I just hope it doesn't have to do with who wrote it rather than what's in it.
"To imagine- to dream of things that have not happened is one of man's deepest needs." -Milan Kundera