Author Topic: Was it Peyton\'s fault with the whole Psycho Derek  (Read 9530 times)

JamesChad1

Re: Was it Peyton\'s fault with the whole Psycho Derek
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 03:17:49 AM »
I think peyton being so open on the web did open the door for Ian, you shouldn't be THAT open when on the internet, period....

But I wouldn't say she is solely at fault, I do think if she didn't do the web cam thing, it wouldn't have happened, but I liked the storyline cuz' it helped show you can't be too careful on the net, you know?? Theres a lot of psychos out there, for one reason only, to get to YOU so everyone should be careful....
Totally agree with this

Offline crazy_chic88

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 04:07:09 AM »
It wasn't totally Peyton's fault but then again, she shouldn't have given out bits and pieces of her life on a podcast. I know that she isn't a very open person but she's got a close niche of friends that she could've told anything about to like Brooke and Lucas.

Offline that-was-bruliant

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
  • ♥ - BJU.PJ.TL.
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 05:57:03 AM »
It's definitetly not her fault considering Ian was a psycho and that she happened to bare a striking resemblance to that girl he used to know, so it's not her fault that he was like obsessed with her, which started all the stalking.
But, she should have been more careful with her podcasts and not have opened up her life as much as she did because people can take advantage of that and well, stalk you.
It wasn't Peyton's fault, but she should have been more careful.

♥-JohnKrasinski

Offline Vlad

• I'm a VIP!
  • Mr X
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 06:03:06 AM »
How is this even a question ?We live in the 21 century ,people have web cam and can have pod cast or whatever there called .Its not a invitation for rape/death etc.

Unless Peyton said on one of her pod cast she wants that to happen to her,which as far as we know she didn't,this shouldn't even be a debate.

[

Offline heartlikethat

• sig made by mel
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
Peyton definitely had her stupid moments in the situation. She should never have been that open on the internet, you don't know what could happen when you put yourself out there on the web. Most of the time the outcomes are not safe. Lucas also warned her several times that he didn't think Derek was a good guy. But at the same time, she was so willing to open up to him and she was honestly just naive in the situation. She wanted this so bad, a brother that she could be herself around and open herself up to, and it just didn't work out. However, this was not her fault. She didn't ask to be assaulted and almost raped. She just made some bad decisions along the way. She should have been more careful but in no way did that make all of this her fault.

"you're my best friend, hales, you always will be."

Offline Sara

• dodger716
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
I wouldn't say she's blameless.  Lots of people use technology and post things on the internet.  But the one thing that comes to mind is when she said in one of her podcasts about everything you'd ever want to know about her being on her myspace.  That's definitely not the smartest move. 

The internet is only growing as a form of communication but so are the dangers of using it.  It wasn't her intention and it wasn't her fault Ian picked her.  But if she had been more careful about what all she shared it would of been less likey it would of been her. 

Either way I hate this storyline with a passion anyway so I try to pretend it didn't happen and OTH didn't turn into a soap opera with all the phychos.  I guess it can teach people out there a good lesson about being careful with what you share though.

Offline Mary

• Posting 24/7
  • Love the life you live <3
    • My FB Page (add me!)
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
I  agree with you Sara. You have to be careful on the internet, especially at her age and she had no adult supervision. No, she didn't say she wanted that to happen to her. NO it's not her fault Ian chose her to stalk and attack.  And no, Peyton didn't ask for this or deserve this in any way, shape or form.

It's just a matter of being careful what you post, say or even look like on the internet.  There are crazy people everywhere, especially on the internet and that is what people should be warning kids about, so I'm glad they did this storyline, I don't think Peyton was at fault, I just think she should've been more careful of how she presented herself online, for the whole world to see.

sawyerscottTLA

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:29 AM »
How is this even a question ?We live in the 21 century ,people have web cam and can have pod cast or whatever there called .Its not a invitation for rape/death etc.

Unless Peyton said on one of her pod cast she wants that to happen to her,which as far as we know she didn't,this shouldn't even be a debate.

exactly. exacfrickinly. she probly should have been wiser, however, it doesn't matter what you do, no one can blame their poor actions on you in a situation like this! no girl is at fault for any sexual harassment, no matter how short the skirt they wear, and any argument to the contrary is bullsh*t and sexist. that being said, she should probably have been wiser, and not posted her whole life online. of course she is blameless. she just should have thought more carefully. however, considering how parentless every kid (except maybe lucas) was in tree hill, who can really say??

Offline SofiaM

• Princess Sofia
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • D.E.L.E.N.A <3
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »
OK, Peyton broadcasted her life on the web which gave PD an oppertunity to do what he did. Peyton is a smart girl most of the time but here she was completely irresponsible. She has also in the past changed in front of the web cam. She is to blame for that. Yes, technology is everywhere but she could have controlled the information she gave out.

Did she deserve the attack? Hell no! No woman deserves that. I understand the fact that she didn't question PD because she was excited to have someone, family, in her life now. How was she to know that he was a crazy animal. The only plus side is that it made her so strong. I was so proud of her in the prom episode because you could see how strong it made her. She may have still been beaten pretty bad but she fought hard and it was amazing to see a woman be able to fight back like that in the nasty circumstances she was in.
Credit: LJ

sawyerscottTLA

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »
OK, Peyton broadcasted her life on the web which gave PD an oppertunity to do what he did. 
Did she deserve the attack? Hell no! No woman deserves that.

Exactly how I feel! A girl can wear as short a skirt as she wants, and people can assume whatever heinous things about her that they want ( just as they could in ANY situation ), but that DOES NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE give any person any kind of right to disrespect their body by raping or even speaking disparagingly of their body. I speak as a person who has never been in that circumstance, but wants every girl to feel welcome in their own body. You could do everything except saying "come and get it" and any guy or any person would have NO right controlling your body. I apologize if i sound controlling, but girls, I have been there. No one has any right to your body but YOU.

Offline iloveoth16

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting 24/7
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
I  agree with you Sara. You have to be careful on the internet, especially at her age and she had no adult supervision. No, she didn't say she wanted that to happen to her. NO it's not her fault Ian chose her to stalk and attack.  And no, Peyton didn't ask for this or deserve this in any way, shape or form.

It's just a matter of being careful what you post, say or even look like on the internet.  There are crazy people everywhere, especially on the internet and that is what people should be warning kids about, so I'm glad they did this storyline, I don't think Peyton was at fault, I just think she should've been more careful of how she presented herself online, for the whole world to see.

I totally agree. Peyton did put herself out there and made herself very easy to find. I never understood why she had a webcam in the first place? I can obviously understand if the webcam was just for friends or a boyfriend but she'd put it on an online site for the whole world to see!

I also thought if her podcasts were just her speaking, without the webcam with it, then Psycho Derek would not have found her, because he would have no clue who she was. Also with the myspace etc.. why would you post your info for the whole world to see? It's common sense, you wouldn't go up to someone on the street, give out all your personal details and your whole life story, so why would you online? It's so silly and just the same.

I love Peyton and of course I wouldn't say its Peyton's fault she got attacked, she did put herself out there for strange people to see all her info etc and know she was looking for her brother. However that does not mean she asked to be attacked. But even with knowing that she was saying online she was looking for her brother, she definitely should not have been as trusting as she was towards Psycho Derek when he first said he was her brother.

I also think that what Peyton did is NOT the same thing as saying if you wear a short skirt you are most likely going to be attacked, as some people have said on this thread. You are entitled to wear whatever you want and get on with your life but that skirt is not telling people all about your life is it? It's just what you are choosing to wear and that's your choice. NO-ONE deserves to be attacked however they choose to present themselves whether online or in real life, however I do think Peyton putting herself out there online may have attracted weirdos.

NickJess

Offline Andrea

• I'm a VIP!
  • I should own stock in this place!
  • Icon- Me
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 02:41:55 AM »
It wasn't her fault, but it DEFINITELY could have been avoided. You definitely have to be careful when you post anything about yourself over the internet because yes, there are crazy and perverted and bad people on the web.

Offline Ingmar

• AlwaysHappy
  • I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
  • April/Jackson <3
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
No, it wasn't her fault that some crazy stalker started to terrorize her. Yes, Peyton shouldn't have been that open for the entire world to see, and she shouldn't have phone conversations with the webcam on, and she learned it the hard way. But truth is, the chances are minimum that people with webcams get a stalker like that. Ofcourse the chance is always there and Peyton should have used her brains a bit more, but it was her way to express herself and she needed someone to talk to so I can understand her. But did she choose to get a psycho on her? No freaking way.

Offline justafan

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:21 AM »
I wouldn't say the entire thing was Peyton's fault.  But to post a video in an open wave like the internet.  One must be careful of who shows up.  A guy with blond hair who says he's her brother?  Not far fetched, but Peyton let him into her world without asking any questions.  She was partially responsible for that.  But him begin psycho and then doing all that he did....i don't find her fault in that.

Offline hilarie.love

• I'm a VIP!
  • Posting Freak
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »
ABSOLUTELY NOT. It doesn't matter how overexposed she made herself, Ian was 100% responsible for ALL of his actions. It could have been avoided, but it was not her fault in any way.
"Somebody told me that this is the place where everything's better and everything's safe."